• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Where to schoot 'em?

Behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up is the perfect shot.The heart and other vitals are right there together. With a good shot they'll almost always pile up within just a couple of yards and there is a lot more room for shot placement error.
I had a big buck facing away from me several years ago in a green field and instantly buck fever set in bad as I waited for a shot.
He was easing away and as he turned a little and then turned his head and neck I took a neck shot with a 30-06 165gr ballistic tip at 60 yards. The deer went down immediately as if struck by lightning.
Then he bounced up and hauled ass. I sat there wondering what had just happened.
The area where I hit him looked like a scene from a horror movie with a large pool of blood and blood sprayed in an area probably 12' in diameter. I called my brother and started tracking. We tracked that deer for well over half a mile through thick and thin onto another property. I finally got close to him and I could hear it wheezing heavily down in a ditch on a power line covered in low scrub. I got my rifle ready and eased forward. The buck jumped up and took off again like a meteor with no chance for a shot. After another long trek of a quarter mile or so we found him dead. His throat had been completely blown off with a cannonball sized hole in it just under the spine and it had been breathing through it's trachea which was hanging out the hole in it's neck until it finally bled out.
I wont ever do that again and learned a valuable lesson the hard way. It was a very long very hard drag across two properties (mostly lower Alabama thick jungle) until we could get it in the truck. An ugly incident all the way around indeed and I was very lucky to recover him.
If I got to make a split second decision it's gonna be behind the shoulder in the lungs every time. But if I have time for a confident well placed shot its gonna be center of the neck half way between the shoulder and head. Take the spinal cord out their and it's lights out.

The honest truth is that there is no absolute-always DRT shot. Deer are large, strong, wild animals with a very strong and instinctive will to survive. There are just too many variables to consider when trying to end that life with a projectile at distance. If tracking an animal onto or through surrounding property would make you so uncomfortable so as not to attempt it, you MAY reconsider hunting the property. There is no shame in that.

I had to turn down a recent offer to hunt a homeowner's property because it was just too tight.

Regarding the rifle, the high shoulder shot is often described as the bang/flop shot that drops them in their tracks, but I've never hunted with 300. And I don't like shoulder shots because it could ruin some meat.

Personally I always do the heart/lung shot, and 30 - 40 yards is about the max they run - 20 yards is the norm.

Behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up is the perfect shot.The heart and other vitals are right there together. With a good shot they'll almost always pile up within just a couple of yards and there is a lot more room for shot placement error.
I had a big buck facing away from me several years ago in a green field and instantly buck fever set in bad as I waited for a shot.
He was easing away and as he turned a little and then turned his head and neck I took a neck shot with a 30-06 165gr ballistic tip at 60 yards. The deer went down immediately as if struck by lightning.
Then he bounced up and hauled ass. I sat there wondering what had just happened.
The area where I hit him looked like a scene from a horror movie with a large pool of blood and blood sprayed in an area probably 12' in diameter. I called my brother and started tracking. We tracked that deer for well over half a mile through thick and thin onto another property. I finally got close to him and I could hear it wheezing heavily down in a ditch on a power line covered in low scrub. I got my rifle ready and eased forward. The buck jumped up and took off again like a meteor with no chance for a shot. After another long trek of a quarter mile or so we found him dead. His throat had been completely blown off with a cannonball sized hole in it just under the spine and it had been breathing through it's trachea which was hanging out the hole in it's neck until it finally bled out.
I wont ever do that again and learned a valuable lesson the hard way. It was a very long very hard drag across two properties (mostly lower Alabama thick jungle) until we could get it in the truck. An ugly incident all the way around indeed and I was very lucky to recover him.
I have heard quite a few stories like this and that why I wont take a neck shot unless the deer has already been shot and they are bedded down and it's the only shot I have to put them out for good.

Regarding the rifle, the high shoulder shot is often described as the bang/flop shot that drops them in their tracks, but I've never hunted with 300. And I don't like shoulder shots because it could ruin some meat.

Personally I always do the heart/lung shot, and 30 - 40 yards is about the max they run - 20 yards is the norm.

I'm with ya. I really don't like shoulder shots. I've missed my shot before and have seen what a shoulder shot does to the deer. It's not nice.

Head or spine shot is only way to guarantee it drops right there and won't get back up. Only problem is you don't have to miss by much to only wound it and make it very difficult to recover and you may not even kill it.

If you're hunting from a tree stand or ladder and near others property then spine shots are awesome if you are very cautious and confident with your weapon... Dial that baby in and practice tree shots at your archery block.
I've taken six last season and three were spine shots from above, the rest were boiler room shots and none of them ran more than 75 yards.

Here's a sweet base of the neck spine shot from the Excalibur with a schwacker mechanical broad head.
The second pic is a bigger doe from a spine shot from above.

I also got a Spike with a high double lung that nicked the spine.
All three of these animals dropped right there.

If you have a creek at the bottom of your property there's a good chance they will head that way if they run..... Good luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom