• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where to schoot 'em?

I know to go for the heart and lungs. I guess I wanted to ask how a neck shot (bow or gun) is as far as distance the deer will go before dropping.
Every deer I've shot in the neck with a rifle dropped within 10 yards. Most right where they were standing.

The main reason I take neck shots though is cause it makes cleaning them less messy.

Behind the shoulder is the best spot, not saying it wouldn't work with other shot placements.

To be honest, those bucks patterns will change significantly by the time season opens. Early bow season would probably be your best chance. Once the temps drop, you probably won't see them again.

Bow shots and you gonna be tracking Heart shots seen em run over 100 yards.Head shot if you want it DRT
www.all_creatures.org_anex_deer_hunting_01_small.jpg

Behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up is the perfect shot.The heart and other vitals are right there together. With a good shot they'll almost always pile up within just a couple of yards and there is a lot more room for shot placement error.
I had a big buck facing away from me several years ago in a green field and instantly buck fever set in bad as I waited for a shot.
He was easing away and as he turned a little and then turned his head and neck I took a neck shot with a 30-06 165gr ballistic tip at 60 yards. The deer went down immediately as if struck by lightning.
Then he bounced up and hauled ass. I sat there wondering what had just happened.
The area where I hit him looked like a scene from a horror movie with a large pool of blood and blood sprayed in an area probably 12' in diameter. I called my brother and started tracking. We tracked that deer for well over half a mile through thick and thin onto another property. I finally got close to him and I could hear it wheezing heavily down in a ditch on a power line covered in low scrub. I got my rifle ready and eased forward. The buck jumped up and took off again like a meteor with no chance for a shot. After another long trek of a quarter mile or so we found him dead. His throat had been completely blown off with a cannonball sized hole in it just under the spine and it had been breathing through it's trachea which was hanging out the hole in it's neck until it finally bled out.
I wont ever do that again and learned a valuable lesson the hard way. It was a very long very hard drag across two properties (mostly lower Alabama thick jungle) until we could get it in the truck. An ugly incident all the way around indeed and I was very lucky to recover him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom