• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which classic suvs or jeeps have towing capacity of 2500 truck?

Possibly a Jeep J20? IMHO the coolest "heavy duty" vehicle out there but I still wouldn't pull a bigger skid steer with it.Maybe a small rubber tire.

While definitely cool and a piece of history, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything from that era in 3/4 or 1ton stock configuration that will hold a candle to a modern 3/4 ton/2500 in regards to power, towing capability, and most importantly stopping safely, without extensive and expensive upgrades.

I was looking into older navigators and I did not know about the 32v dohc intech v8 until recently.
The tow rating seemed very good for the body style and year.
Still well over 10 years newer than your date range.

With that said, if you're not wanting to customize and upgrade something, I'd be scoping out govt auctions for a deuce and a half or 5ton. They can be bought on the cheap with low miles and will haul a skid steer no problem albeit you won't be doing it fast!

Try to find an early 80's 3/4 ton GM truck with the granny low tranny and a 454 . Used to pull a landscape tractor with one . Gas mileage sucked and like ATLjetmech said, the stopping was always exciting. It pulled the trailer just fine, but that was in the late eighties. I'd hate try it now with 30+ years on the chassis.

I would look at a 90's era GM or Ford Dually.

What about a 1 ton with upgraded brakes and an engine swap?

That shouldn't be too hard on the wallet, but would it be enough?
I suppose the original combined weight rating would be the legal obstacle.

I'd say '85 suburban 2500 454 with factory tow package. There was a very nice one at southern roads. Let me see it I can find it.
(They must have sold it. It was cherry.)

That shouldn't be too hard on the wallet, but would it be enough?
I suppose the original combined weight rating would be the legal obstacle.

I'd say '85 suburban 2500 454 with factory tow package. There was a very nice one at southern roads. Let me see it I can find it.
(They must have sold it. It was cherry.)

All the upgrades in the world do not change your vehicles basic certified capacity. You may convince a court that your modified vehicle is capable of handling your load. But your certified weight remains unchanged and your LE officer on the side of the road can cite you and have the trailer towed and impounded.

Don't that just sound like a dandy way to spend your money and some quality time with the local gendarme and their counterparts in the courts?

Back
Top Bottom