• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who had a 17-18 Silverado ?

Put it in neutral and hold it to the floor till it starts bouncin off the rev limiter, and then yank down into 1st.

J/K...that is a weird noise.

Bushings in the spring eyelets from the sound I could hear. It’s a design flaw in the way it’s isolated but only causes noise concerns, not safety. If you have jack stands and a jack you could swap them out. Lubing then only seems to help so much but inevitably returns, especially once exposed to elements or a good wash.

Btw, the guy who made that video was a regular on one of my forums. He swapped to a 5 leaf iirc, but learned after removing the oem springs it was the factory bushing, not the spring or shackle itself. Cheap enough fix, just a bit of time.

Bushings in the spring eyelets from the sound I could hear. It’s a design flaw in the way it’s isolated but only causes noise concerns, not safety. If you have jack stands and a jack you could swap them out. Lubing then only seems to help so much but inevitably returns, especially once exposed to elements or a good wash.

Btw, the guy who made that video was a regular on one of my forums. He swapped to a 5 leaf iirc, but learned after removing the oem springs it was the factory bushing, not the spring or shackle itself. Cheap enough fix, just a bit of time.
From what I could tell it dosnt really seem like an issue other than the noise. I’ve heard of Guys getting the leave springs replaced, only for the noise to come back after a couple thousand miles

From what I could tell it dosnt really seem like an issue other than the noise. I’ve heard of Guys getting the leave springs replaced, only for the noise to come back after a couple thousand miles

I think it’s a fitment issue in the design of the bushing within the eyelet of the spring. It allows too much slop from what’s been described, people spoke of duplicating it with the springs off the trucks as well. I don’t have a new one so can’t give thoughts other than what I’ve read and my neighbor has described, he’s a 25 year tech for GM. I concur on the replacements and noise coming back, which makes me think going to an aftermarket stiffer bushing may offer more stability long term and stop the noise. It’s cheaper than swapping springs, and at least you know witha good bushing they normally last the life of the truck for most folks.

Has anyone tried some aftermarket urethane spring bushings?

I’ve got them in my ‘01, at 218k I rebuild both the front and rear with new everything. I believe the bushings I used were Prothane if that sounds right, it’s been a couple years. No issues, feels tight like a new truck again and no squeaks or thunks from the suspension. Cornering feels more stable as well, not nearly as much body roll.

Listening to it again, it sounds a lot like its excessive endplay on the drivers side axle shaft. I doubt it would be that but its possible. Throw a jack under it and push/pull on that tire. See if it clunks.

Back
Top Bottom