• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who here knows about exterior security cameras?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I need to run some surveillance :peep::spy::peep:. I was planning on buying something from Best Buy since I have a $250 gift card but their Swann brand stinks in the CS and software dept. Can anyone make any recommendations? I know diddly squat about this kind of stuff. I'm planning on running a wired system since I'll be putting them at existing flood light locations. I'm in the process of getting know'd up but with our redneck powers combined...

Not an expert but this is the system I bought a couple of years ago.
They have some newer ones out now with better cameras, but mine does a pretty good job. Night pix are not great on any that I have seen unless you have some exterior lighting..
Depends on how many cameras you want and how many channels, and how much storage it has, as to cost.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LaView-...728}:st++cn:{null}++849897004728+{productkey}

I need to run some surveillance :peep::spy::peep:. I was planning on buying something from Best Buy since I have a $250 gift card but their Swann brand stinks in the CS and software dept. Can anyone make any recommendations? I know diddly squat about this kind of stuff. I'm planning on running a wired system since I'll be putting them at existing flood light locations. I'm in the process of getting know'd up but with our redneck powers combined...
I personally use Ring Floodlight cameras at my home. It's cloud based recording and costs about $30 per year if my memory serves me right. Clarity is great and the motion zones and alerts are great too. Cost is usually $249 and they're sold at Best Buy . Installation takes a whopping 10 minutes. If you end up with more than three you can pay $100 per year for unlimited cameras/recording. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I personally use Ring Floodlight cameras at my home. It's cloud based recording and costs about $30 per year if my memory serves me right. Clarity is great and the motion zones and alerts are great too. Cost is usually $249 and they're sold at Best Buy . Installation takes a whopping 10 minutes. If you end up with more than three you can pay $100 per year for unlimited cameras/recording. Hope this helps.

Can the guys in the black van hack into the wireless connection and see your feed? Does RING sell your video feed if it's interesting enough?

I understand the "need" of alerts and what not. I'm just old school and prefer that I'm the only person to ever see the images recorded.

z3RzZd78w.jpg
zIMG_9849.jpg

Can the guys in the black van hack into the wireless connection and see your feed? Does RING sell your video feed if it's interesting enough?

I understand the "need" of alerts and what not. I'm just old school and prefer that I'm the only person to ever see the images recorded.

View attachment 1590217 View attachment 1590218
The cost of a decent Northern NVR with PoE is about $400. That's cost not retail. Decent Flir PoE cameras that are vandal proof start at $100 each. Again, that's wholesale. Most NVR's are networked so you can view the recording remotely. A strong network is a strong network and the black van can get in if they want to I suppose. Unless you're dealing drugs I wouldn't worry about that but I do have a tin foil hat for certain occasions. I don't think ring sells any recordings but I can't speak to that. I have a "black van" in my driveway which is the reason we even have the cameras lol not mine but hers...

Back
Top Bottom