• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who Owns & Carries a Slim Single-Stack 9mm?

I went to the indoor range today and rented 3 slim single-stack guns to try.
Ones I'd never fired before (I shot a S&W Shield last year).

I tested a Springfield XDs-9
And a Glock 43.
And a Ruger LC9s.

I shot 5 rounds from a steady 2 hand hold from each gun, at 25 feet.
Then after checking the group size, I did about 10 rounds of rapid shooting single handed, raising the gun from low ready and popping off a single shot within 1 second. Then I'd lower the gun, pause, and repeat.
Next I'd do a 7-shot group (same distance, 25 feet) with 2 hands, shooting all 7 shots very rapidly. So fast that sometimes I lost my sight picture and just pulled the trigger anyway on the next shot, like a "double tap", counting on muscle memory to have the gun back in the right position (it worked pretty well).
Finally, for each gun I'd put up a clean new target to shoot 5 rounds slow fire at 50 feet.

RESULTS:
The Springfield XDs-9 was very easy to shoot and had the least perceived recoil. I think it was the one with the largest grip and heaviest empty weight, too. It was very accurate if I took my time to line up the sights carefully.
My short stubby fingers had to stretch to reach the trigger in its fully forward position, but I managed. It pointed naturally and fell back into alignment with the target after the recoil. The "fiber optic" front sight wasn't very bright at the range. I basically used the dark outline of the front sight's metal frame.

The Glock 43 was my favorite. Slimmer than the Springfield, and with a shorter reach to the trigger. Equally accurate during slow fire. Good pointability. Even when I lost my sight picture in rapid fire, I got a decent group from just pointing or getting a "flash sight picture." It fit in my pants pocket better, too. (I tested each gun by carrying it briefly in my pants pocket, but didn't try to draw from there).

Least favorite was the Ruger LC9s. It had a weird trigger. Light enough poundage, but it was a LONG pull, and the gun fired midway through the trigger stroke. Lots of "overtravel." I suppose you could get used to this, but I wasn't.
I got wild flyers on both the 25 ft. and 50 ft. slow fire targets.
For the rapid fire shooting, I also got one bad flyer, but I think that was me not expecting the trigger to fire when it did.

The one and only malfunction of the day happened to the LC9s. I had a stovepipe. I did the tip-rack-bang drill and that cleared it, but I'd dumped a live round out of the gun along with the fired case.

The LC9 wasn't as accurate at the others, but it was the smallest of them all.

I didn't have time to shoot my own Taurus PT-111 G2 for comparison, but I think that the Glock 43 and the Springfield XDs-9 were its equals when it comes to slow fire accuracy, rapid fire accuracy and controllability, and natural pointability. The Ruger LC9s seemed more like my .38 snubby-- a "get off me" gun that's going to give groups more like a dinner plate than a coffee cup.

If ya go pocket carry, this is a great minimalist pocket holster. So many pocket holsters have too much bulk and although they may not scream "gun" its a bulge in your pocket and makes for difficult quick draw. The boreii holster keeps pistol upright and allows a quick draw from the pocket having everything it needs (trigger covered, breaks up outine, and upright pistol hold). They have a july 4th special going on now. Of all pocket holsters i have tried, i like this one
s669884209536688106_p4_i1_w640.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom