• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who smokes

Only racked deer I ever killed back when I deer hunted I was stiiling on the ground with a smoke hanging out of my mouth and a 6pt snuck in behind me at less than 10yds and if I hadn't shot him I think he would have pulled the cig out my mouth and took a drag. Wind was to my face and blowing all my scent back to him. Was a wild experence.

Nick T

I do...have for years. I keep an eye on the wind with the smoke and ashes. I try to not smoke as muck in the evening. In the morning as the sun comes up and warms the air, air rises taking the smoke with it. Deer are curious animals to an extent. Ive had them sneak up on me while I was sitting, taking a rest and havin a smoke. Ive shot alot of deer while smoking...have to put down the cig to take the shot. Will it spook deer? Sure it can but they are diff just like we are, some spook, some investigate. Now if your smokin the left handed ones be careful....they eat up everything in their path lol

I don't smoke in the stand. Only smoke in the evenings when I drink a few beers.Although I do spit snuff all outta my stand and never hadda problem that I know of or could relate directly to the snuff. Had them walk right by and sniff it on the ground before. I just figure if I ever do hava problem I will just swish some tinks around and spit that for cover scent.

Only racked deer I ever killed back when I deer hunted I was stiiling on the ground with a smoke hanging out of my mouth and a 6pt snuck in behind me at less than 10yds and if I hadn't shot him I think he would have pulled the cig out my mouth and took a drag. Wind was to my face and blowing all my scent back to him. Was a wild experence.

Nick T

lol, almost the same thing happened to me. I was sitting on a log down at a creek below the bank a little, I had just got off work, no cammo, wearing jeans and t-shirt, wasn't there 10 minutes, just lit a cigarette and heard something stomping and snorting behind me, I turned around and there he was, a 9 point, 202lb buck staring at me. I shot him 4 times with my 12 gauge. The last time I shot him I was running towards him as if he were the Taliban, lol. All with a Marlboro still hanging in my mouth.
That was in 1992.
Nowadays, If I use my Tomcat climber, I climb way up high so I can smoke if I absolutely have to, but I usually try to limit the smokes and just dip cherry Skoal and just spit on the tree.

lol, almost the same thing happened to me. I was sitting on a log down at a creek below the bank a little, I had just got off work, no cammo, wearing jeans and t-shirt, wasn't there 10 minutes, just lit a cigarette and heard something stomping and snorting behind me, I turned around and there he was, a 9 point, 202lb buck staring at me. I shot him 4 times with my 12 gauge. The last time I shot him I was running towards him as if he were the Taliban, lol. All with a Marlboro still hanging in my mouth.
That was in 1992.
Nowadays, If I use my Tomcat climber, I climb way up high so I can smoke if I absolutely have to, but I usually try to limit the smokes and just dip cherry Skoal and just spit on the tree.

4 times? with a 12 gauge? was it bird shot? lol I've shot all my deer with 12 gauge slugs out of a savage bolt shotgun and I've never ever had a deer take more then 2 steps after 1 slug

I have always smoked in the tree stand and I have never had an issue dropping deer while doing it.

Back
Top Bottom