• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who uses the slide lock for a slide release???

Do you use a slide lock for a slide release

• Total voters
I didn't vote primarily my personal training and experience is that I will do what the situation calls for and it will also depend on what weapon I am using. My Glocks I often hit the slide release after loading a mag. No stress, under stress, gloves no gloves(note here most of my shooting gloves have the thumb and trigger finger removed for better feel and more control of the pistol) and have yet to miss the slide stop with my Glock. Now on a 1911, due to the fact I have medium sized hands and need to roll the pistol to hit the slide release I just rack the slide and let it fly. On my H&K P7 I use the squeeze cocker to drop the slide. Anyway, what I am getting at is I adapt to the pistol and situation when I am shooting, I will use whatever is quickest and most difficult to mess up, be that the slide release, racking the slide, or when shooting left hand, without the aid of my right hand even racking the slide on my belt. I don't buy into one way is king, I buy into economy of motion, that is what you need to train for, start off slow with each move of the reload broken into one move and train until all those moves become one move, then once you get there adjust and adapt as you need depending on the platform and the situation.

ETA: Half the time on my Glock when a insert the fresh mag I hit it in pretty hard to make sure its seated, and when i do a LOT of the time the slide itself will close when I do that.....Is that a bad thing?

Or did I just prove your point about it causing excessive wear on the slide release?

I don't think that is a sign of excessive wear. My personal, and I do stress personal experience, has been that a Glock that has been broken in and that does not have the extended slide release will drop the slide when a loaded mag is inserted with significant force. With the extended slide release this is rare. Just my experience, train for it not to happen and just react appropriately when it does.

It's part of executing an faster emergency reload. Saving time when people are moving and shooting at you is a good thing.

Some say that a speed reload (ejecting and leaving a magazine with bullets remaining) doesn't have a place in "tactical" scenarios. I disagree with that as well. It is simply another tool in the toolbox.

The problem is we all get caught in the fantasy-land shootings or scenarios where we always win, don't get shot, hit every target, never run out of bullets at the most inconvenient times, etc, etc. Find what works for you and practice it. It is my belief that if you run to slide-lock and need more bullets, you want that done as fast as possible.. saving a quarter to half second or more by using a slide lock/release gives me that little bit of extra time to get back into action. My goal with speed is to reduce the other guys free time to shoot rounds against me.

Just my 2 cents.

While I agree with several points here there have been many times I've witnessed student after student as well as "high-speed" guys flub hitting the little tab on the side of a Glock or similar gun... especially during higher stress training or in the winter.

You learn a lot on the range when you train year-round.

I had a 4 hr.class this winter when it was 27 degrees with the wind gusting 15-25 m.p.h.
A pretty proficient 3-gun shooter became an "overhand" convert when he kept missing the slidestop cause he couldn't feel his fingertips.

Cold,numb fingers in winter simulate the fine motor skill deterioration experienced in high stress situations.
Some highly proficient people can still pull it off but most can't everytime.

That's one of the reasons why they (Glock) are so adamant in calling it a "slidestop" not a "slide release".

Either way, as many have said repeatedly in this thread, pick the method that works on your gun EVERY time & practice, practice, practice...& then practice some more.
The extended slide lock/release that comes standard on the G-34/35 is a good addition that gives the shooter much greater surface area & leverage to release the slide on the first try... if you use a Glock & if it works for you on your gun.

Releasing the slide is an operation that is almost always done at "high compressed ready" or "high retention" just prior to full presentation toward the "threat" so with practice you don't lose as much time as you might think if you compare the time to actual presentation. Yes, the "slidestop/release" method is faster, but not always as sure on all platforms, under all conditions.
While the overhand method may be a fraction of a second slower the tradeoff is that it's a gross motor skill that is easier to perform under high stress/any conditions that also works on the majority of platforms.

Yes, every fraction of a second is important but so is using techniques that give you the maximum chance to get it right the first time, even under the worst of conditions.

But... again... use the method that works for you on your gun but I encourage everyone to keep an openmind & challenge yourself to try different techniques.

Last edited:
It's not that anyway is "right" or "wrong".
It's which method can you perform 100% of the time when you're tired, cold, etc. under ALL conditions on your specific gun.

This is an example of one area where being tactically sound & "winning" matches can differ immensely.

On certain guns with extended releases, yes. On my 1911, no. Too far out of reach.

Generally 1911's are the platform where the slide release makes the most sense, and for me it's the only platform I use the slide release method on. Try this - put a 1911 in your hand, and bring it up into your workspace to execute a reload. Insert a magazine and then stop. Look where your left thumb is. If your technique is right it should be practically on top of the slide release. That being the case, how could it possibly be any closer or faster to then move your left hand up to the slide to release it overhand? Again, this is platform specific. On everything but a 1911 I use the overhand method, but it just makes too much sense on a 1911 not to.

Do not get caught on a POST range using slide lock for a slide release. Besides muzzle control that is the probably in the top 5 no no's we teach. Very dangerous/costly habit to break.

Back
Top Bottom