• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why can't light escape from a black hole?

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
So a few days ago I started a thread about matter and energy and I was very impressed with the ideas that were presented. I figured you guys might be able to help me understand another question that has always bothered me. Why can't light escape from a black hole? I have heard a couple of different explanations for this...

1. Because light behaves as both a particle and a wave and thus gravity can suck it into a black hole if it is strong enough because nothing can escape. (I think this is bull****, light can't be both a particle and a wave, light is just a form of radiation and radiation CAN escape from a black hole. ie-Hawking radiation)

2. Because a black hole is so dense that it completely warps the fabric of space around it and light continues to travel but just goes around in circles and never escapes. (This is what I tend to believe, it certainly makes more sense than the first explanation)

3. Because the center of a black hole is a singularity that has infinite density and zero volume. Having zero volume means there is no space. Time and space are essentially two sides of the same coin so time stops in a black hole. Without time you cannot have any speed since speed = distance/time. So basically light just stops moving in a black hole. (I can follow this to some extent but not as well as explanation #2)

Can anyone help me out with this?

Light is both a particle and a wave, there are many tests that prove so, even retrocausality. Gravity is not well enough understood to explain tiny objects at the quantum mechanical level.

Sort of like Money and Joy around my Meth Head Brother - once it reaches the event horizon it gets sucked in, never to be seen again...

Sort of like Money and Joy around my Meth Head Brother - once it reaches the event horizon it gets sucked in, never to be seen again...

Hasn't the theory of the event horizon been shattered by the discovery of Hawking radiation?

Back
Top Bottom