• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why is deer season so long?

One reason for ending it sooner is they don't want you killing does when it is getting into birthing season and they want the fawns to be old enough to survive on their own if needed is one reason for not allowing either sex earlier in the season.

Since you have your own land you don’t have to hunt deer the last 3 or 4 weeks. You control it. I don’t see the problem.
You bring up people shooting 2 1/2 and 3 year old bucks and not letting them mature. That’s not going to change by shortening season. Hopefully more people will use good quality management techniques, we have improved I’ve rather years as a state. Personally I’d like it extended to end of January and only allow does last two weeks or month. A lot of people only buck hunt, something like this would remove some does. I don’t mind taking big does. I’ve never eaten the horns, they just don’t look tasty so don’t see need for only shooting bucks

IMO, if any part if the season need to be shorter is the early part. I wont hunt til late October at the earliest just because of the heat. I'd be in favor of starting bow season at least a month later and ending gun season around end of January.

Two seasons ago I didnt get to hunt til late December and still got enough meat for the year. This past season my girlfriend didnt get to go with me til late December and we still saw several decent bucks, including a very nice one that she would have taken if she would have had a better scope at the time. She did not end up taking a deer this year at all.

I was gonna let him know though. Public land is a pain sometimes but you have to have back up spots in case one is taken. My only complaint about public land is they keep most of the gates closed. But I do get why they do it.
Those closed gates are good news for anyone that's willing to walk a bit. Keeps the riffraff out.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. Some good points were made and well some bad ones too.
I will say this. There is issue that a very high percentage of small game hunters face every season. Not being able to obtain hunting permission until after deer season. Deer season overlaps well over half of waterfowl season, almost all of woodcock season, and roughly half or more of other small game seasons.
Deer season is now 4 moths long. How is closing the deer season two weeks earlier not a fair compromise? Now if all you care about is deer hunting and don’t want to budge an inch on the matter, because there more of you than small game hunters, then be up front about it.
I didnt bring this up because I’m merely looking to expand my hunting opportunities and mine alone. This is a prevalent concern among a large part of the small game hunting community.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. Some good points were made and well some bad ones too.
I will say this. There is issue that a very high percentage of small game hunters face every season. Not being able to obtain hunting permission until after deer season. Deer season overlaps well over half of waterfowl season, almost all of woodcock season, and roughly half or more of other small game seasons.
Deer season is now 4 moths long. How is closing the deer season two weeks earlier not a fair compromise? Now if all you care about is deer hunting and don’t want to budge an inch on the matter, because there more of you than small game hunters, then be up front about it.
I didnt bring this up because I’m merely looking to expand my hunting opportunities and mine alone. This is a prevalent concern among a large part of the small game hunting community.
I get what you’re saying, I hunt deer,ducks, and squirrels. I thought on my hunting property this year that it took awhile for the ducks to find the water but come to find out it was the other guys that hunt the property deer hunting, walking to the duck hole (somewhere they shouldn’t have been for deer) jumping the woodies up and making them even more weary than they already are. As soon as deer season ended I started seeing the ducks like I was suppose to. In my case it was private land and those guys were just being assholes.

Most landowners that deer hunt won’t allow deer hunting until deer season is over. No matter if they plan on deer hunting or not. Most all hunting clubs are comprised of deer hunter. Those hunters don’t want their deer hunting disturbed during season. That’s their right. They control the land and the hunting rights. Most landowners and some clubs could care less if you hunt small game after deer season is over. The only way your average small game hunter gets afield is to patiently await the close of deer season.
You’ve already stated that deer hunter interest is slim the last few weeks of the season, so why not close it and let the little guy come to the table?

Our club tried your "let the little guy to the table idea" Master Disaster, was only supposed to be 4 guys, the little guy showed up with 15 hunters when we challenged, the greatly increased number several started screaming we paid our $200.00 to hunt and we intend to hunt. The so called "LITTLE GUY, was charging 15 of them to hunt my property which we had stated 4 people could come after signing a WAIVER OF LIABILITY form, none had or had been informed they had to sign. We called the DNR, local Sheriff, and had them all removed and were told if they ever returned would be arrested on sight.

So your "little guy" was going to use our property for his personal gain using our property. We will no longer let anyone use our property any more!!! So to "HECK WITH YOUR LITTLE GUYS".

The best part was how the hunters turned on the "LITTLE GUY" very quickly.

We see some rabbit dogs on our property from time to time, they will come up to us while we are hunting, tired, hot, and hungry, we give them water and load them up in our truck go to the main gate and await the owners, who are greatly enraged that we put their dogs in our truck awaiting their arrival. We knew they would be by soon when seeing the location of the dogs since they all have GPS collars on them. We don't hurt the dogs as they are just doing what beagles do run game. Their excuse was they knew we would not give them permission to hunt our property. We told them they were right, because of their attitudes of we will hunt where and when we want.

So your "little guy" won't fly with us... His attitude is a THIEF BY TAKING LOW LIFE...

It doesn’t matter what game you are hunting,if you don’t own your own land finding a place can require an extra effort and most likely a drive longer than you want but that’s the nature of the beast and has been the 50 years i have been hunting. Good luck finding greener pastures

Back
Top Bottom