• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is deer season so long?

you could probably keep the limits restrictions and have the season go year round and get the same harvest results. i mean is anybody really interested in draggin a deer out da woods in July? covered in ticks and wolf worms? not this cowboy.
And who would be interested in killing heavily pregnant does and bucks that have dropped their antlers in late winter or spring?

Filled none BECAUSE of regulations and lack of available area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have hundreds of thousands of acres of available land within less than an hour of White Georgia. Chattahoochee National Forest.

The reason there are fewer doe days in N. Georgia is because there are fewer deer. If you eliminate regulations the first place the deer population would take a serious hit is in your area.

Valid point on the public land. Most seem to have a good balance of hunting dates. I personally have never hunted public areas much. I’ve just never had good experiences. No matter what my quarry.
I was discussing this as it pertains to private lands.

Most landowners that deer hunt won’t allow deer hunting until deer season is over. No matter if they plan on deer hunting or not. Most all hunting clubs are comprised of deer hunter. Those hunters don’t want their deer hunting disturbed during season. That’s their right. They control the land and the hunting rights. Most landowners and some clubs could care less if you hunt small game after deer season is over. The only way your average small game hunter gets afield is to patiently await the close of deer season.
You’ve already stated that deer hunter interest is slim the last few weeks of the season, so why not close it and let the little guy come to the table?

Then buy, manage, and hunt your own land - pretty simple solution.

Valid point on the public land. Most seem to have a good balance of hunting dates. I personally have never hunted public areas much. I’ve just never had good experiences. No matter what my quarry.

Public land is the way to go IMO. Cheaper. I can hunt land with deer, Turkey, Ducks and Bear for about $50

You have hundreds of thousands of acres of available land within less than an hour of White Georgia. Chattahoochee National Forest.

The reason there are fewer doe days in N. Georgia is because there are fewer deer. If you eliminate regulations the first place the deer population would take a serious hit is in your area.

Yeah but who has time to drive two hours round trip to scout an area only to have that area taken during season? Maybe you don’t have to be gone 70-80 hours a week for work and travel, and if so you’re blessed. I have thousands of acres available literally in my back yard but they’re closed to me except for a few weeks a year.
If I’m gonna be that restricted why do I bother paying for a license at all?

Some of my best experiences have been on public land. The only time I have experienced a crowd is when there is a short hunt on a WMA. Go check out public lands that have longer hunts. Remember that any NF land that is not part of a WMA is open most of the season. Especially for small game.

Yeah but who has time to drive two hours round trip to scout an area only to have that area taken during season? Maybe you don’t have to be gone 70-80 hours a week for work and travel, and if so you’re blessed. I have thousands of acres available literally in my back yard but they’re closed to me except for a few weeks a year.
If I’m gonna be that restricted why do I bother paying for a license at all?

Have a second spot. I have hunted public land for many years and it's pretty easy to tell if there might be someone in your spot due to vehicles parked in your area. Keep that possibility in mind when you are scouting. You go to spot number one and there is a vehicle. A two minute drive to spot number two takes you into a completely different area. If needs be, go to spot number three. You have lost a total of four minutes.

I have always had much more of a problem having a spot truly to myself on clubs than on public land. Granted, I never hunt opening weekend of rifle season. That's when all the yahoos show up. Most of them won't be there the next week.

Back
Top Bottom