• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anybody buy a 38 special

Personally my wife was taught by her father to shoot a .38 revolver and that is what she knows and could care less learning anything else. She is very sentimental since he passed. I support her decision and bought her a S&W 638 vs the Model 10 she learned on. She was carrying a .32 revolver before so It give me a little more comfort that she has a .38 that she is toting. She has shot my .357 but was not impressed with extra firepower. We spend quality time shooting and stress shot placement over power. She may not be an operator but I feel confident that she will not be an easy target and someone will be on the bad end of her GA firecracker attitude. I always joke that if someone were to take her that they will return her very very soon! LOL!

My wife is the same girl, except she learned on a 36. She now carries a 637 i got her, and heaven help the cretin that has her muzzle pointed in their direction... the extra umph of .357 doesn't work for her. At 5'3", 110, it just doesn't work for her. I have some .38+p stuff in my s&w 442 that im not so happy to shoot. In my 4" 586, I'll blast 158gr hard cast buffalo bore no worries, but in an airweight, .38 is ok with me...

Here's a couple of reasons why someone may choose to purchase a .38 snubby over a .357 along with price. As a carry weapon. The top one is from a 2" Colt Detective Special. The lower one is from a 1.87" Ruger LCRx. Can you see any difference in the expansion from a regular .38 vs a .357? Why I do agree if you're going to shoot .38 get a .357 so you can do both not many manufacturers make quality .357 carry sized snubbys like Ruger or Smith. And really outside of the LCR, Smith PD or Titanium .357's or LCRx, all others like the SP101 and the 640-1 or model 60 may be heavier than some may like to carry. Ammo is Federal HST 130gr Micro .38 special suggested by C.J.Lafrance. Thanks for the tip my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.JPG
    IMG_3755.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 13
Any data about the penetration of each?

Sorry yes. From the Colt it penetrated into 3 water jugs hitting the back of jug number 3 putting a slit in it but staying inside of jug number 3. The one from the Ruger .357 penetrated 4 jugs resting into jug number 4. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom