• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anybody buy a 38 special

38 does a fine job taking out the trash. Has worked for over 100 years. Ask Lee Oswald......oh wait, you can't...he got deaded by one shot from a 38 snubbie. :thumb:

When a .357 would do both?
I bought 6 S&W 641ct’s as stocking stuffers last Christmas. Stainless steel and Aluminum, 1.8 inch barrel, Double action only, fixed sights, with the crimson trace laser. Each of my family members don’t have the military or law enforcement training and will never have the range time that I do.

The 5 shot 38 special in a lightweight 16 ounce handgun is not exactly fun to shoot, and worse in a +P round. The 38 is what I considered minimum for effective stopping power. I

It will reliably, and accurately fire every time the trigger is pulled. Unlike an auto-jammer there is no FTFeed, FTFire, FTEject, jams, or stove-pipes.

The FBI report has +90% of all shootings at less than 20 feet and less than 2 rounds fired.

The 357 round has 18 inches of penetration and even more recoil than the 38, a heftier price tag and overall an even bigger harder to conceal weapon.

if the firearm is your PD gun then I could see only having a 38. However if you want a range gun 357 is the way to go because of added versatility.

I have 357's, but I find myself shooting 38's 75% of the time. Something about costs and I like the way they feel. If I carried a wheel gun, it would be loaded with 357 however.
I used carry an LCR with the first 3 rounds with 38 and the last 2 357. That thing had some whallop with 357’s though.

Two double-action rounds to the torso and one to the neck/head area within 1 - 1.5 seconds and I'm pretty sure the recipient will be personally offended by my old-school S&W Model 60 .38SPL, regardless of load. It just works, and always has.

If you want to carry .357, be my guest. But the noise and muzzle flash won't bring them down. It's all about shot placement... always has been... always will be!

Carry on!

I'm about the same way, I have a 38 that my grandfather left me and it will never leave. All the revolvers I have have ever bought with my money have all been .357's though. 90% of my plinking is with 38 special but it's nice to have the option to switch back and forth. Mine are also used for hunting purposes and a 38 just doesn't have the get up and go to take down any large animal.
38's prolly killed more criminals than any other round.Its an easy round to shoot and become proficient with. 357 is a lot of noise and hopes for most average shooters and smaller people,we are not all pistoleros like the bad asses on here

I bought a new Colt Cobra in 1975. The price tag is still on the box for $157.50. My wife decided she liked it a little over 30 years ago and has been carrying it daily since.

She shoots it well.

Back
Top Bottom