• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife has Glock 27 and has difficulty racking

The abbreviated surface area of the sub-compacts don't give the user much "real estate" to manipulate certain operations such as racking the slide.

Some ladies in our classes (we've had over 200 come through) struggle w/ semi-autos & decide on a revolver. Others find that w/ practice, like many other things in life, it does get easier while some guns are just harder than others.

Most Rugers & Kahrs & some of the lower end guns are more difficult to rack. Glocks, S&W's, XD's are "average". Like the video posted above shows technique is everything.
Using isometric strength by "push-pulling" using the full strength of all of the fingers & both hands often results in better results.

It does get easier as the gun gets broken in. This weekend one woman w/ arthritis & weak hand strength issues who originally struggled racking her S&W Shield found that by the end of class she had it down pat & "repitition is the father of skill".

Going to a gunstore & trying out several different ones for handfit as well as the ability to rack the slide might be a step in the right direction.

Also, attending a formal, training class would make a huge difference as well.

For what is worth my 8 year old daughter can function the slide on my Glock 23. The link posted has several great methods that are time proven! Hang in there, and have her practice practice, practice.

My wife started out with a .38 special because she had a hard time pulling the slide back on my XD, but has no trouble with her Colt 1911.

Check this thing out:

Slide Pull Charging Handle

pgroup_8316_image_260_shadow.jpg

Back
Top Bottom