Window World vs Window Source vs Home Depot vs ???? - replacement windows

Doing windows is essentially just trim work.

Remove old window unit to building framing. Center unit in hole, secure to frame, insulate, caulk, then trim inside.

Allow enough time, and do one at a time.

Thanks for the replies guys -- I'm taking it all into consideration, - even the doing it myself part, which personally I'm not too fond of that idea. I have strengths and weaknesses and I will be the first to say that carpentry does not fall into the strength category lol.

are they really that simple? i've been debating doing it myself but just wasnt sure how much of a pain it would end up being. i remodeled my entire house when i bought it minus the windows and did all that myself, just thought there was a little more to windows.

12 years ago I swapped out all of my single-pain, aluminum glide, wood windows with Jeld-Wen Sash pack sash replacements. I ordered them from Home Depot.
It was about 1/2 the cost of having someone else put in a whole window and frame. (I had previously done whole window replacement and knew it was more than I wanted to do myself at that time.)
I got to where I could do a removal / installation in 25 minutes.
(one important item was my windows were all "standard" size with square, non-damaged frames.)

They have held up exceptionably well with no problems at all for 17 windows over 12 years.

Check Home Depot, they can custom order Anderson window down to 1/4". It's a little work but once you do the first one, the rest are easy.
Changed mine out about 10 years ago, double pane, argon and all that good stuff. Saved about 10k by doing it myself. Total cost of the windows were about 3000-3500.

That's what we got

And it was nice because I ordered one particular window slightly smaller because the house has settled over the last 45 years and I didn't want to rebuild the wall just to make the opening square again

I might can dig up the paperwork when I get back home

Our Andersen windows were 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide and cost about $450-475 each and we were able to get the colors I wanted , dark brown on the outside and tan on the inside

Turns out the contractor who originally built the house never insulated around any of the Windows not bothered to caulk between the window and the studs or put any sealer tape around the flanges

They just nailed em to the studs and put siding over the nailing flanges

Was really nice getting rid of single pane aluminum frame Windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So - as an update, I ended up going with America's Best Choice Windows out of Roswell. They had the best reviews, (Trust Dale certified whatever that's worth), and were about $250 cheaper then Window World or Window Source. Home Depot was about $2,000 over the other three with what I felt was an extremely pushy sales pitch primarily geared to signing up for a Home Depot credit card and/or project loan. All four companies demoed very similar windows with almost identical energy ratings. Lead time for job is 3-5 weeks so I'll post an update after install.

Looking to replace 8 old wooden single pane windows in my house which was built in the 50's. Anyone used any of the companies in the Athens area or any other recommendations? Two estimates from W.W. and W.S. are right around the $3k range. Home Depot coming for estimate tomorrow . . .

View attachment 1247468
If you are in the dallas area there is conservation construction of dallas. I got great windows from them, but they do require minimum of 4 windows.

Go with a company that does full installation and will warranty their work and windows for life. When that very expensive double pane window starts to fog up, that warranty is a good thing to have.

We have used Champion to replace all the windows and a set of doors at this house. One window went bad after ten years, it was replaced within than two weeks.

Good luck getting a lifetime replacement with labor warranty from any manufacturer if you DIY.

I used Pellas from Lowes. Since you've got brick, Id use pvc brick mold like I did and you dont have to worry about painting. Tools required if you're considering doing it: miter saw, 15g finish nailer, hammer, pry bar, screw gun, caulk gun and a tape measure. Did 23 windows at my place. 5 per day. Really easy work. Take your time shimming the frame so the sashes fit/seal correctly.

Back
Top Bottom