• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Window World vs Window Source vs Home Depot vs ???? - replacement windows

Spiderman11

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
109   0
Reaction score
Looking to replace 8 old wooden single pane windows in my house which was built in the 50's. Anyone used any of the companies in the Athens area or any other recommendations? Two estimates from W.W. and W.S. are right around the $3k range. Home Depot coming for estimate tomorrow . . .

20170718_124158.jpg

very interested in answers, i need to replace all of my old windows as well, house was also built in the 50's.

If you're the least bit handyman you can do it yourself

They make windows just for retrofitting into existing frames
They are just slightly smaller than the existing hole

Spend some time on YouTube and you will see how easy it is

I just replaced all of them in the roundhouse
They are 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide

We used fiberglass Windows from Homo depot
Can't remember the brand name but I think it was the cheapest andersens they could get that were available in dark brown

If you're using white and your windows are a normal size it will be very easy to find

Those windows should be about $100-125 each plus the wood for new trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're the least bit handyman you can do it yourself

They make windows just for retrofitting into existing frames
They are just slightly smaller than the existing hole

Spend some time on YouTube and you will see how easy it is

I just replaced all of them in the roundhouse
They are 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide

We used fiberglass Windows from Homo depot
Can't remember the brand name but I think it was the cheapest andersens they could get that were available in dark brown

If you're using white and your windows are a normal size it will be very easy to find

Those windows should be about $100-125 each plus the wood for new trim

are they really that simple? i've been debating doing it myself but just wasnt sure how much of a pain it would end up being. i remodeled my entire house when i bought it minus the windows and did all that myself, just thought there was a little more to windows.

are they really that simple? i've been debating doing it myself but just wasnt sure how much of a pain it would end up being. i remodeled my entire house when i bought it minus the windows and did all that myself, just thought there was a little more to windows.

Watch a few of the YouTube videos

It's not that hard

WW of ATHENS did ours. They did a very good job. My house was built in 1878, but has been remodeled over the years so it could have been tricky. Took about 2 weeks to install over the winter due to weather.

I understand the value of time off. But theyre really easy to do. The thing is most subs do not properly insulate between the replacement and house. The window itself takes 30 min - 1 hour total by yourself if your capping it too (see picture). You can swing by Window Factory in Tucker or American Direct in Smryna or a local place and hire the sub yourself.

I recommend at a minimum dual plane, low e, argon, with full screens. Whats the average with these specs?

If i couldnt do it and had to pay someone itd be W.W.

150041554763225222098.jpg

Check Home Depot, they can custom order Anderson window down to 1/4". It's a little work but once you do the first one, the rest are easy.
Changed mine out about 10 years ago, double pane, argon and all that good stuff. Saved about 10k by doing it myself. Total cost of the windows were about 3000-3500.

Back
Top Bottom