• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Women fighters.

I think we came up on the same bloody floors/mats Bear :) Been fun watching the progression from traditional martial arts to semi-contact, full-contact, WKA, PKA a few international orgs during the same period to BJJ, Thai Boxing then UF'ing and MMA and now watching Rousy. And seeing what really works in a "fight"

I know this, I spent a good deal of time in the ring during the 70's / 80's and occasionally the early 90's, every professional female I ever worked with I had one thought in mind at the time, (boxing and full-contact kickboxing) and that was not hurting her. I had guys that weighted 50 lbs less than me ring my bell and a couple of heavyweight pros make me wish I had chosen tennis. But a female, it was all about not being the guy that smashed her nose. Sports are sports, if a chick wants it knock yourself out (lol)
I agree with this. I don't think guys should fight women other than controlled practice. But when they fight each other, I've seen some serious ass kicking done. One thing for sure though. Unless a woman is exceptionally well trained she should never try to use her martial arts skills for serious self defense other than a quick surprise technique and then escape. I stopped training women in hand to hand for SD a long time ago because I realized all it was doing for most of them was giving them a false sense of security. Now I encourage them to get an equalizer and learn how to use it.

It has been fun watching it progress as a sport. I'm so glad so few people know the name "Joe Corley" now. LOL!

Last edited:
So your only real objection is to the type of crowd and that she gets paid. I guess not getting paid to beat someone's ass makes it more ladylike.
No, again it's INTENT. You enjoy, apparently, since you paid the pay for view coin, watching two women try and knock each other unconscious. I find it sickening and anything but ladylike. I have no problem with a woman knocking out an attacker or ventilating him for that matter. I likely would enjoy seeing that. If you still can't see the distinction I'm drawing then I'll just call it a communication fail on my part. Some get it, obviously.

No, again it's INTENT. You enjoy, apparently, since you paid the pay for view coin, watching two women try and knock each other unconscious. I find it sickening and anything but ladylike. I have no problem with a woman knocking out an attacker or ventilating him for that matter. I likely would enjoy seeing that. If you still can't see the distinction I'm drawing then I'll just call it a communication fail on my part. Some get it, obviously.
The distinction you're trying to draw relative to the posts I have made about women in other combat sports is the issue. The only real difference in MMA and what has already been going on for a long time is that MMA has a bigger audience and the women are actually making a paycheck to fight. You are the one that seems to be unable to understand that the combat sports women have been practicing in for over 100 years (some for 1000s) have absolutely nothing to do with self defense as their primary objective.

You're claiming these combat sports are something they are not and then wonder why I disagree with your assessment. :noidea:

Last edited:
The distinction you're trying to draw relative to the posts I have made about women in other combat sports is the issue. The only real difference in MMA and what has already been going on for a long time is that MMA has a bigger audience and the women are actually making a paycheck to fight. You are the one that seems to be unable to understand that the combat sports women have been practicing in for over 100 years (some for 1000s) have absolutely nothing to do with self defense as their primary objective.
You're claiming these combat sports are something they are not and then wonder why I disagree with your assessment. :noidea:
For God's sake man, my OP and this entire thread is about the new and growing fascination and interest in women's blood sport! You just admitted it NOW has a bigger audience and women are getting paid to knock each other out. Glad you finally got there.

I went to high school with Holly Holm. She was a freshman my senior year and hung out with some of my friends. She wasn't into boxing or any kind of martial arts back then, she was a sweet little soccer player who was into gymnastics.

She got into fighting a few years after high school and it has been fun to watch her career.

I still see that sweet little freshman soccer player when I kook at her.

Oh yeah, and as she demonstrated Saturday night, you can't **** with a Manzano Monarch!

Last edited:
For God's sake man, my OP and this entire thread is about the new and growing fascination and interest in women's blood sport! You just admitted it NOW has a bigger audience and women are getting paid to knock each other out. Glad you finally got there.
So, just like a said a few posts ago, your only real problem is the size of the crowd and the fact they get paid.

All I'm saying is that women's blood sports have been around a very long time. It's nothing new.

Last edited:
I went to high school with Holly Holm. She was a freshman my senior year and hung out with some of my friends. She wasn't into boxing or any kind of martial arts back then, she was a sweet little soccer player who was into gymnastics.

She got into fighting a few years after high school and it has been fun to watch her career.

I still see that sweet little freshman soccer player when I kook at her.

Oh year, and as she demonstrated Saturday night, you can't **** with a Manzano Monarch!
I thought it was cute when she did a little girl dance after she won.

Makes me do this!
104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom