Would you buy a New York car?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
506   0
Reaction score
I am looking for my daughter a new(er) car that she can afford. I have found a 2013 Chevy Cruze that has 23,000 miles on it and lived the first 3 years of it's life in New York state. Is that enough time for the old northern rust to start in? Pretty low miles so I am thinking it hasn't been driven much in ice and salt, I just don't know how quickly damage can occur up there in the winters.

I did 6 months in Detroit a few years ago. Amazing to see essentially new cars rusted out. It may be ok. I would put it up on a lift and get it inspected before making a decision. if you're going to keep it for a while.

If it's not already rusted out, removing the tires and pressure washing it 12 ways from sunday in the underside and treating it with a few gallons of penetrating oil could slow things down.

I would have to agree with the group on this one. Since we moved down here to Darien I'm close to I95 and I see Yankee state cars around here everyday. I've seen more than a few vehicles that weren't that old ( as in probably not even paid for yet) with bubbling in the paint in the wheel well area and fender bottoms. Other cars in the 10 to 15 year old range had the rocker panels completely rotted out. Granted I see more of that from Ohio, Illinois, Indiana tagged vehicles. But the northeastern vehicles are just as bad.
I get what your saying about how bad can it be on a car that age. But without putting it on the rack and seriously going over it with a light I would pass. Because it obviously doesn't take near as long as I thought it would.

Not only rust, but roads in the Northeast are pretty bad as well. If the car was anywhere near the city it's been pounded badly. I have a friend from NY and he won't buy a car from there.

I've been around three, 1967 couger that was perfect, until I went to jack it up and the jack went though the body. Son bought a ford a few years back, low miles, looked great. Brakes locked up on the way home the first week and he flipped it. The underside was ate up with rust. Inherited a 98 626 a couple of years back. Low miles and mostly garage kept. I'm still driving it but its rough on the underside! Buy one and think of it like a diaper....when the crap gets bad (and it will) toss it and get another.

I am looking for my daughter a new(er) car that she can afford. I have found a 2013 Chevy Cruze that has 23,000 miles on it and lived the first 3 years of it's life in New York state. Is that enough time for the old northern rust to start in? Pretty low miles so I am thinking it hasn't been driven much in ice and salt, I just don't know how quickly damage can occur up there in the winters.

I looked at a 14 Raptor last year it had 42,000 miles on it and had holes already rusted in the body.

Back
Top Bottom