Would you buy a New York car?

I am originally from IL, had a friend that bought a cherry Chevy from a little old lady that only drove to the grocery store and church on Sunday. It was 10 years old but looked brand new, always garaged. He and car were from Chicago suburbs. One day a couple months after he bought it, he drove over some railroad tracks and the car bent in 2. Entire frame was eaten up with road salt "cancer".

Ziebart used to be a pretty good fix for this kind of body rot, I had a couple brand new cars that were treated and didn't have any major problems, but I think they went out of business....haven't heard of them for years.

Don't do it...

Um.. no the salt they use in winter rots a car. Hell no
giphy (5).gif

I am looking for my daughter a new(er) car that she can afford. I have found a 2013 Chevy Cruze that has 23,000 miles on it and lived the first 3 years of it's life in New York state. Is that enough time for the old northern rust to start in? Pretty low miles so I am thinking it hasn't been driven much in ice and salt, I just don't know how quickly damage can occur up there in the winters.
Rust preventative coatings are pretty amazing now days. I wouldn't sweat it unless I could see visible rust.

Having owned a vehicle from Ohio that had rust,I would vote NO. The rust spreads no matter how well you try and treat it. You just can't get everywhere,inside the box frame and all the tiny places. It's like a cancer.

One oil change,looking under your car seems normal. A few months later after all the rain and moisture and swinging temps it looks like a submerged scaled up sea monster

Broken bolts,rusted parts,time and trouble around each corner

Just avoid rust. That's my experience

Id have to say no. I paid to have a 28k 2015 car transfered down from the great north. They gave me a refund after they inspected it here.

Back
Top Bottom