• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yall remember your first Pilot Log?

I learned to fly in my 40’s and had a Cherokee 180 at Cherokee county airport. It was a great plane, outfitted nicely. As my parents were getting older so was I and that 13 1/2 hour drive to see them was getting tougher. Six hours in the plane and I was there. Had a stop in Danville, VA to gas up and check the weather ahead. Took off at 7am and landed at 1:00. Was ready for the day ahead, instead of being burnt because of the drive for a day and a half. N6422J, I still miss her.

I've never flown anything that big before but then again the idea of avoiding a stall seems a little foreign to me as well. I focus on getting the timing just right so that when I pop the stick back to dump the air from under the wings I can immediately choose which direction I want it to spin into and give it a little bit of rudder to help it fall down. As the nose slides down under the horizon I pull the stick back even farther to accelerate it. (when the Pitts spins it really f***ing SPINS) Once you've had your desired number of rotations, stop it with opposite rudder push the stick forward until the nose is pointed straight down at the ground and slam the throttle into the firewall. Keep accelerating on the vertical downline and count 1-2-3 to put you around 150-160mph. Squeeze your legs and your abs as hard as you can and keep breathing as you roll on 4-5 g's to pull out. A tiny bit of left rudder helps to keep you straight as you come back to straight and level and go into your next figure.

It's even more fun when you do it inverted.
Man, that is exactly how I did it in the Cub and reading yours brought back lots of memories. Sometimes I did departure stalls with a spin kicking the rudder usually to the left and sometimes approach stalls. I loved doing them and envy you and your Pitts. Inverted!! I would love to try that!

If I remember, there is a youtube video with a guy in an Aztec going into a full stall and spin. Maybe I can find it. Crazy.

I also understand it is very difficult to recover from a stall in a larger and heavier aircraft. I have brought a Piper Turbo Aztec D to the shudder but went no more before recovering. Have done the same with a 680 FL Grand Commander. It ain't the same as a 150.
There is no way you will complete an Army fixed wing qualification in any aircraft without mastering full stall recovery, no matter the size. I've done full stalls in a RC-12D/H/N (Super King Air 350). Full Stalls, accelerated stalls, aggrevated stalls....no worries. Larger airplanes do have varying specific stall characteristics though. The King Air series usually aggressivly drops a wing and rolls 90 to 180 degrees at full stall. No worries, a 1 G aileron roll to get the rightside up once the airspeed is back sets thing right again.

I did unintentionally stall an OV-1 Mohawk during transition training once, while upside down at the top of a loop. An inverted flat spin was the result. That got excitiong for a few seconds, lol. Scared my IP half to death. At the time I was too excited to be there and inexperienced to be real scared. We lost about 3000 ft before the recovery and ended up about 1000 ft above the ejection hard deck when we got straight and level again. To my IPs credit he calmly keyed the mic and said "Let's not do that anymore....Now start the maneuver all over and give me 3 good loops." And away we went, lol.

There is no way you will complete an Army fixed wing qualification in any aircraft without mastering full stall recovery, no matter the size. I've done full stalls in a RC-12D/H/N (Super King Air 350). Full Stalls, accelerated stalls, aggrevated stalls....no worries. Larger airplanes do have varying specific stall characteristics though. The King Air series usually aggressivly drops a wing and rolls 90 to 180 degrees at full stall. No worries, a 1 G aileron roll to get the rightside up once the airspeed is back sets thing right again.

I did unintentionally stall an OV-1 Mohawk during transition training once, while upside down at the top of a loop. An inverted flat spin was the result. That got excitiong for a few seconds, lol. Scared my IP half to death. At the time I was too excited to be there and inexperienced to be real scared. We lost about 3000 ft before the recovery and ended up about 1000 ft above the ejection hard deck when we got straight and level again. To my IPs credit he calmly keyed the mic and said "Let's not do that anymore....Now start the maneuver all over and give me 3 good loops." And away we went, lol.
Sounds like some fine puckering time to me. My check rides never asked for full stalls on twins, just to the shudder and and maybe a wing dropping a bit. Could not imagine being in an inverted Mohawk and with a flat spin!

Did you ever do any training in an OV 1 Mohawk or OV 10 Bronco just SW of Vero Bch? Not Avon Park. Used to see both training at low altitude. Usually late in the day or just before dark.

Did you ever do any training in an OV 1 Mohawk or OV 10 Bronco just SW of Vero Bch? Not Avon Park. Used to see both training at low altitude. Usually late in the day or just before dark.
All my Mohawk training was at Cairns Army Airfield, FT Rucker. I never flew the OV-1 again after the transition course. I literally walked across the hanger and went straight to the C-12 transition because a RFO change rescinding my orders to Germany and diverting me to Korea, and they needed RC-12 pilots in Korea. Those OV-1s were peobably out of the MIB(LI)....pronounced mib-lee...based at the Orlando International Airport.

All my Mohawk training was at Cairns Army Airfield, FT Rucker. I never flew the OV-1 again after the transition course. I literally walked across the hanger and went straight to the C-12 transition because a RFO change rescinding my orders to Germany and diverting me to Korea, and they needed RC-12 pilots in Korea. Those OV-1s were peobably out of the MIB(LI)....pronounced mib-lee...based at the Orlando International Airport.

When I was a young pilot and just got my private, I flew that Cub up to McCoy and either dropped off or picked up a family friend and got to land on that GIGANTIC runway 17 on the W side of the airport! When I was headed out, ATC was joking around and asked if I had enough runway and I remember telling him that I would not have any problem taking of west bound on 17!! He laughed some more and told me to to take off southbound. Not sure if I went from the numbers or made an intersection TO but it took a while to get to end!

When I was a young pilot and just got my private, I flew that Cub up to McCoy and either dropped off or picked up a family friend and got to land on that GIGANTIC runway 17 on the W side of the airport! When I was headed out, ATC was joking around and asked if I had enough runway and I remember telling him that I would not have any problem taking of west bound on 17!! He laughed some more and told me to to take off southbound. Not sure if I went from the numbers or made an intersection TO but it took a while to get to end!
I landed a RC-12D at Anderson Air Force base in Guam, the home of the mighty B52 during the Vietnam War. The main runways there are both over 2 miles long. On final the tower asked if I wanted to land on the numbers or midfield. I remember thinking I could do both...hit the 1000 ft marker, excute a touch and go, and still easily land midfield. LOL. Here's a pic.....it's a loooooong runway!

andersen-afb (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom