• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You know this **** is getting old.

I, along with a whole lot of people who know more about it than I do, am VERY confident that HPA will pass. Wait and see.

"Josh Waldron, one of three founders of the American Suppressor Association, says that when legislators become informed, 90 percent of both Democrats and Republicans vote for the reform legislation.

The Hearing Protection Act will pass. It only needs to be presented to Congress and signed by President Trump."
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ident-trump-will-pass-hearing-protection-act/

I, along with a whole lot of people who know more about it than I do, am VERY confident that HPA will pass. Wait and see.

"Josh Waldron, one of three founders of the American Suppressor Association, says that when legislators become informed, 90 percent of both Democrats and Republicans vote for the reform legislation.

The Hearing Protection Act will pass. It only needs to be presented to Congress and signed by President Trump."
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ident-trump-will-pass-hearing-protection-act/

As nice as it would be for HPA to pass, I don't think it is as simple as that. One of the biggest problems with the political scene right now, IMO, is that nothing is a standalone issue. Final versions of the bills almost always have riders with something undesireable (poison pill) or if they don't are held hostage in tit-for-tat battles and bartering. Even though the bill as it stands seems to get a lot of support from the majority party right now it just means that it is a more valuable target to be held hostage for negotiations by the opposing team when their votes are needed for some other bill. ie: They (minority party) could say "If you (majority party) pass HPA, we won't support bill XYZ." Where bill XYZ is a much more politically valuable issue.

And quite honestly, HPA and NFA concerns in general aren't very politically valuable issues because they represent the concerns of only a very, very, very small percentage of the populace. (compared to issues like healthcare, taxation, jobs, environmental regulation, trade etc etc that you see in the headlines on a daily basis)

Besides, these laws have been effect for 83 years now, what's the point in changing them now? Look how few crimes have been committed using suppressors... the laws WORK!! /tongue in cheek

Not saying HPA can't pass, or won't pass, just that it isn't going to be as easy as it should be. You just can't trust politician regardless of the party they belong to. They're always negotiating/compromising with the enemy while giving their constituents and the media lip service.

^^ no way. if they made easy money they would find a way to process them faster.

Good point. Anecdotally, I've heard that the NFA brach of the BATFE doesn't even get to keep the receipts for transfer taxes. It goes into a general budget or something. Honestly I feel sorry for the folks at the NFA branch. They're just a bunch of schmoes like the rest of us doing a job that is necessary as dictated by the laws created by politicians.

As nice as it would be for HPA to pass, I don't think it is as simple as that. One of the biggest problems with the political scene right now, IMO, is that nothing is a standalone issue. Final versions of the bills almost always have riders with something undesireable (poison pill) or if they don't are held hostage in tit-for-tat battles and bartering. Even though the bill as it stands seems to get a lot of support from the majority party right now it just means that it is a more valuable target to be held hostage for negotiations by the opposing team when their votes are needed for some other bill. ie: They (minority party) could say "If you (majority party) pass HPA, we won't support bill XYZ." Where bill XYZ is a much more politically valuable issue.

You got it backwards. HPA is the tiny 4 page bill that will be the rider on something else that needs to pass, omnibus or reconciliation.

I think you all misunderstand the purpose of the NFA. It isn't to generate revenue nor is it to reduce crime.

It's sole purpose is to make owning NFA weapons difficult and time consuming so most people will just avoid them.

They have no incentive to streamline the process, quite the opposite really .

Back
Top Bottom