• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Young Man Afraid Of His Horses

A new in box/unfired 9mm Ruger Blackhawk OM cylinder was acquired. Its lovely. And its over size to allow for proper fitting. Yes, it has the large throats and it won't cut clover leaves at 50 yards. But, with the price and availability of ammo, 9mm being more available and often less expensive than even 22 lr....it will provide hours of full power practice on steel to 25 yards, tin cans, paper targets, golf balls, orange polymer rolly on the groundie thingies....etc. And....I suspect we'll post a 15 yard target later with factory and handloaded 9mm ammo that shows pretty significantly good grouping with no key holes.

Later I'll check all the headspace, but after tonights install, timing is perfect and all cylinders clear a range rod in the bore.

To it then.

The New Old Stock cylinder. Its pristine. It'll stay that way. No need for bluing. Just a good cleaning, fit checks and then get it dirty on the range.

i.imgur.com_HSHlkBj.jpg

Buy a good tool once, this one over 25 years ago for facing muzzles square and find millions of jobs for it around the shop from making gauges to sort 22 LR by rim thickness to facing muzzles to facing Ejector rod housings to facing off Blackhawk cylinders for a purrfact fit. If I only has $1 for each time I used it with purrfact success.....

i.imgur.com_sjM2kNY.jpg

Here the cylinder after a few dozen turns with very light pressure....a tight thumb push fit into place that is very stiff to rotate.

i.imgur.com_CqD9FmR.jpg

Taking off another .001" (about 4 to 6 turns with my light pressure) and it slides into place, almost zero endshake (probably less than half of the endshake of the tight original 357 mag cylinder). I'll get all the headspace measurements later. This gun has a generous barrel cylinder gap with the original cylinder and the new 9mm cylinder seems about the same. No reason to change the BC gap if it shoots well and I suspect it will, its been generous since about 1973 on this specimen. BC gaps are bragged about a lot but in the long run, most folks don't care cause they don't know they might pick up a dozen foot seconds with a super small gap. Any way, both cylinders fit well, line up with the bore and spin like loonie birds on hot snot bearings with out any wobble or clatter.

i.imgur.com_iTTFHdF.jpg

Finally, to the rear sight. OM rear sight blades are all black and itty bitty. This one is missing its return spring and was loctighted into place all the way left to prevent loss. Lets fix it.

i.imgur.com_ZxWxND4.jpg

I file the lower tab off a white outline NM rear sight blade, transfer the spring (using a wee bitty screw driver to compress the spring for the blade installation), replace the screw and center it up. Neat-O....A touch taller for findin it fast and a bit of white line for a crisp outline. Should work great and the left right adjustability has been restored.

i.imgur.com_MPg9zuV.jpg

That's it. I'm off for the hunt. Packing this week. Dad is on his way. Sis is on her way. Pal from CA is on his way. We are headin to the much flooded swamps and slews south east of Raleigh along the Neuse River (hope the water is down just a bit so we can get all the way into Sherwood Forest!) with visions of buck, doe, boar, bobcat and coyote in our heads. See ya in a week or two.

Hippies were about 10ish years before this music and mostly dead of THC or LSD burn out or on welfare by the time Alternative proved that "Disco Music Is Just A Social Disease". (I Want To Rock, April Wine)
All in good fun. Rock on man, ROCK ON!

I'm more of a jam band fan myself... more of a hippie than you guys. I like Phish, Widespread Panic and the Dead. Don't forget the good ole bluegrass.

my blackhawk shoots 9mm more accurately then the 357 magnum i have found, but it could also be my shooting ability

9mm in a single action is extremely fun, hopefully i can get my 30 carbine blackhawk back and in working order from ruger soon

my blackhawk shoots 9mm more accurately then the 357 magnum i have found, but it could also be my shooting ability

9mm in a single action is extremely fun, hopefully i can get my 30 carbine blackhawk back and in working order from ruger soon

Yes. Much to do is made about Cylinder Throat diameter on these. And, its important, just like Barrel/Cylinder gap but things like bore condition/dimensions, cylinder alignment and quality ammo are first priorities in the hunt for accuracy. Long and short, folks that are not using their smaller caliber conversion cylinders are missing out on hours of quality time! The vast majority will likely find that that informal plinking and close drills come out very nicely even if the alternate cylinder with its generous throats and long jump into the forcing cone won't print the clover leaf clusters we've been conditioned to believe are the only acceptable performance marker.

And, who'da ever thinked that Centerfire 9mm would become a suitable and economical substitute for Ol Lady 22 LR!

Hardest part about packing for a hunt is predicting what Dad and Sis won't bring. We're old school and orange ain't usually high on the priority list but I packed extra. Also a box of ammo for all the selected rifles, just in case. Don't need another year of trying to hunt with Sis's 3030 and a pocket full of 22-250 shells.

I needed one more project with the hands to clear the head. So, on with the front sight.

Brass, tinned with soft solder. Hole in the ramp tinned and packed with wax based flux. Hole in the bottom of the ramp allows me to flow solder from upper right to lower left, when the window gets some solder in it, I know the spud is surrounded and soldered in to stay. I'll fill that little hole later.

For now, some cold blue tells me I've cleaned off the excess solder from where I don't want it to be since cold blue blackens steel and brass but not solder.

On and secure and next weekend I can get back to finishing conversion of the flat mainspring grip frame to the coil spring action and get some grips on it so it can go to the range for some shooting before the final finishing.

i.imgur.com_dMHlk4l.jpg

i.imgur.com_pgVlaV1.jpg

Hardest part about packing for a hunt is predicting what Dad and Sis won't bring. We're old school and orange ain't usually high on the priority list but I packed extra. Also a box of ammo for all the selected rifles, just in case. Don't need another year of trying to hunt with Sis's 3030 and a pocket full of 22-250 shells.

I needed one more project with the hands to clear the head. So, on with the front sight.

Brass, tinned with soft solder. Hole in the ramp tinned and packed with wax based flux. Hole in the bottom of the ramp allows me to flow solder from upper right to lower left, when the window gets some solder in it, I know the spud is surrounded and soldered in to stay. I'll fill that little hole later.

For now, some cold blue tells me I've cleaned off the excess solder from where I don't want it to be since cold blue blackens steel and brass but not solder.

On and secure and next weekend I can get back to finishing conversion of the flat mainspring grip frame to the coil spring action and get some grips on it so it can go to the range for some shooting before the final finishing.

i.imgur.com_dMHlk4l.jpg

i.imgur.com_pgVlaV1.jpg
Looks great man! Cant wait to see the range results!

Back
Top Bottom