Your family heirloom firearms . Tell us about them :)

I have an inherited, rifle from Dad, one from Grandpa and one of Great Grandpa's....................not my lineage though. Just where folks inherited them and couldn't wait to get rid of them.Some guys Grandpa's Model 39 came into my hands for $150 sometime back. Guy just wanted the money.

My Dad grew up in Glen Alum, West Va. Mingo county. Hatfield and McCoy territory. He bought himself " a little old 20 gauge" to hunt in the hollars and the mountains. It was a JC Higgins, bolt action with a modified choke. I grew up using that for squirrels just up the road in a wood lot near my house. Me and my little dog Girly would head to the woods every day after school and hunt sguirrels, deer, elk, bears and other such critters. When I was 14 Dad gave it to me for keeps and I was so proud of it. I bet that thing brought down at least 1000 squirrels, rabbits, coons and possums over the years. It shoots like a rifle and accounted for several won turkeys at the Thankgiving turkey shoots. I passed it down to my son a few years ago. I hope he understands what that little old 20 gauge means to me and what it meant to Dad.

I have my great grandfather's double barrel 20 gauge. I really don't know too much about it other than its old, really old. I also have a single shot .410 my grandfather gave me when I was about 8 that he had bought for my dad and uncle to rabbit hunt with. He said he bought it in the early 60's. I still use it rabbit hunting. Another one is the winchester .22 also given to me by my grandfather. He traded his cousin a case pocket knife for the rifle in the late 70's or early 80's. It's still unfired, in the box, and has the receipt from where it was bought. I wouldn't trade any of these for the world.

An 1873 springfield trapdoor 45/70 my grandpa gave it to me his dad gave it to him. The only flaw is a small chip out of the wood near the tang. My grandpa remembers dropping it when he was 12 the chip in the wood looks like it happen yesterday it is a very well taken care of rifle. He also gave my a Dan Wesson 357 mag 6" revolver to take in the swamp hog hunting with me. Needless to say I never took the beautiful thing anywhere near a swamp. And last but not least he gave me my first ever real gun a ruger 10/22 all metal everything pre warning. So no matter how down and out I get I will sell everyother gun or possession I own but those 3 I consider the family's and will always be with me until I pass them down.

I have my several from both sides of my family as well as a few from my wife's family, but my favorite is my grandfathers High Standard Sentinel .22 revolver. As my dad tells the story, the JFK assassination in 1963 stirred up a round of talk about gun control and the RFK and MLK assassinations in 1968 made it look inevitable, so my grandfather went to the Western Auto to buy a handgun "before you couldn't get them anymore", and came home with this:

i712.photobucket.com_albums_ww123_vhinch_Sentinel_Knife001.jpg

The knife in the pic was a wedding day gift from my grandfather to my dad, and my dad gave it to me on my wedding day.

My grandfather died in 2005 at 103 years old. I have his s&w victory that he bought sometime in the late 40s or early 50s. It's nickle and snub nose and is in amazing shape. Plus I have his father's l.c. smith double with Damascus barrels and rabbit ears

I have a Remington rolling block that a good friend of my dad's dug up in a flower bed while digging fishing bait. He called my dad and sold it to him for something like $?? not much. My dad was a real craftsman and made several very nice walnut gun stocks. He cleaned the metal, all the wood was gone. Dad made a stock for it which is not the original but is very nice. Long story short, the gun is fi functional today and will chamber a 20 gage shotgun shell (low brass only) and fire it without issue.

My dad was a craftsman. They do not make them like him any more.

Miss you dad.

I waited 35 years to get this gun. My father had it in a Crown Royal bag for years. It was put in the Crown bag after a night of drinking with his business buddies and he took it out to look at. Before that it was in a felt cloth for well over 50 years. My Grandfather carried this gun every night working on the Railroad in the mountains of Virginia where I was born. This gun have never been touch as far as repair or refinishing. It is as it was as he bought and carried it since 1883. It's nickle plated with pearl handles. I think it a model 29 if I am not mistaken. A top break 32 Smith&Wesson and yes the infamous S&W is stamped on the right side. It looked like it had been just untouched in 90 years. I took a razor blade and scraped off what looked to be grease and dirt and polished it up a bit to bring the shine back. Nothing extreme just hand rubbed it with a cloth.
This gun is in it's raw form since 1883 when it was built and bought according to my extensive research.

Attachments

• 20160305_190431.jpg
    20160305_190431.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160305_190502.jpg
    20160305_190502.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 49
  • 20160622_155056.jpg
    20160622_155056.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 53
20160805_184820.jpg

The upper gun is a sporterized Mauser. My grandfather built it in the '50's. He made the stock and bent the bolt handle to fit around the scope.

The .22 is a Ted Williams, made by High Standard I believe. My grandfather bought it for me when I was 2 months old. He gave it to me when I was 12.

These guns aren't worth much, but I wouldn't take $100k for them because of the sentimental value.

Back
Top Bottom