Your family heirloom firearms . Tell us about them :)

I have a few pieces in my collection, but my best story is a friend of mine. His great-grandfather had an old nothing single shot break action 12ga, an H&R or Iver Johnson or something along those lines, straight hardware store stuff from the very early 1900's. Anyway he hunted with it a ton and passed it down to his son, my friend's grandfather. He in turn hunted another ton with, and somewhere along the way the wood split in end to end along the thru bolt hole. Well it got put in a closet and sat for 40 years or so until my buddy talked his grandfather into giving to him. He had given it to his brother for repair and he only succeeded in messing it up more, trying to cobble on the wrong wood, stripped all the blue off and somewhere took a wire wheel to it, ouch! Anyway, he gave it to me, I put the original wood back together, refinished it, reblued and cleaned the whole thing up to presentable condition. I gave it back to him, he loved it, and about a month later he showed it to his grandfather.

Well what I didn't know was some of what I thought were nicks and scratches I saved in the stock to preserve the patina look, were things his great-grandfather had carved into the wood when he was a boy. So when his grandfather saw all, that brought back a lot of memories for him as he hadn't seen that stuff in half a century or more as it was buried under years and years of dirt and grime and sludge that I cleaned off. Like I said, not my story, but close friends of mine, and I was just glad I was able to put that piece back into usable condition and save some family history for them guys, it wil lget passed onto his son and stay in the family forever.

I waited 35 years to get this gun. My father had it in a Crown Royal bag for years. It was put in the Crown bag after a night of drinking with his business buddies and he took it out to look at. Before that it was in a felt cloth for well over 50 years. My Grandfather carried this gun every night working on the Railroad in the mountains of Virginia where I was born. This gun have never been touch as far as repair or refinishing. It is as it was as he bought and carried it since 1883. It's nickle plated with pearl handles. I think it a model 29 if I am not mistaken. A top break 32 Smith&Wesson and yes the infamous S&W is stamped on the right side. It looked like it had been just untouched in 90 years. I took a razor blade and scraped off what looked to be grease and dirt and polished it up a bit to bring the shine back. Nothing extreme just hand rubbed it with a cloth.
This gun is in it's raw form since 1883 when it was built and bought according to my extensive research.
Why do you think this is a model 29?

I took this picture last year. It is my EDC, my Dad's EDC, my Grandfathers EDC, and my Great Grandfathers EDC.
i96.photobucket.com_albums_l172_snickelson1_20150602_104246_zps1z9zkcc0.jpg

This picture was taken the same day. It is 4 generations of guns and watches for the men in my family. All of these guns and watches live in my safe.... well, except for the crappy Glock and Timex.

i96.photobucket.com_albums_l172_snickelson1_20150602_102521_zpsmxz9d9er.jpg
Some pretty cool stuff right here :)

50's and early 60's Smiths are my thang...
I figured.

What hasn't seen the light of day yet (and a little outside your THANG range) are a first year of issue, 4 digit serial number, Colt Model 1892 "New Army & Navy" - born in 1892 of course, and a S&W Model 36 (no dash) Chief's Special complete with original matching S/N box and docs in 98%+. This one was bought by my Dad in 1971 and was his nightstand gun. It is a snubby. 1.5" barrel I believe.

I'm a first generation immigrant - moved here from Scotland when I was 9. So far, only one who has embraced the second amendment.

Hopefully in the future my kids will talk of the family heirlooms I pass down! 4 year old boy/girl twins, plus a 3 year old boy. Plenty of time!

Congrats, and thanks for educating the next generation - especially nice that they are your own.!

Back
Top Bottom