• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your favorite deer to larger game hunting rifle.

LOL, wait till they start shooting back......
I played that game years ago.

317361018.jpg

.30/06 can be had in 110gr frangibles up to at least 220gr. I’d say it’s the most versatile round, and it can take any game in North America from critters to killers.

This is a good read.

From the articles.
“The . 30-06 achieved the highest versatility index score of 4.9. With the right bullet at the right distance, a . 30-06 rifle is capable of humanely taking virtually any game in North America, from bear and moose to smaller varmint and predators.”
I've dropped in their tracks way more deer with that round in the past years than all the other calibers I've tried combined. Exactly why I use it exclusively in the deer woods. And I only hunt with Winchester150 grain Power Point. I've yet to lose a deer with it..........

I've dropped in their tracks way more deer with that round in the past years than all the other calibers I've tried combined. Exactly why I use it exclusively in the deer woods. And I only hunt with Winchester150 grain Power Point. I've yet to lose a deer with it..........
Similarly here. My favorite was the Winchester 150 gr silver tips. In nearly 50 years I have lost a couple of deer. I do however like the ruger I got in 450bm because of the weight and compactness of the rifle

Similarly here. My favorite was the Winchester 150 gr silver tips. In nearly 50 years I have lost a couple of deer. I do however like the ruger I got in 450bm because of the weight and compactness of the rifle
My hunting buddy used the Silver Tips exclusively until they dried up in the marketplace. I actually just received a partial box of them in 150 gr. from a great member BROWNING1990 BROWNING1990 the other day, and he gave them to me no charge! What a guy, as good as they come on here!

My hunting buddy used the Silver Tips exclusively until they dried up in the marketplace. I actually just received a partial box of them in 150 gr. from a great member BROWNING1990 BROWNING1990 the other day, and he gave them to me no charge! What a guy, as good as they come on here!
Appreciate the kind words! Enjoy those silver tips!

I used the silver tips for years as well. They performed perfectly everytime as long as I did my part. I'm a big fan of the Barnes TTSX now. I just picked up a few boxes of Superformance with the all copper CX bullet to try out.

My 2nd choice is the 6.8spc. It has as much kinetic energy at 150 to 250 yards as a 5.56 does at the muzzle. FACT! A well place shot at the right distance I would use it for anything except a buffalo.

I have a late 70s 700 BDL in 30-06. It still looks like brand new except for one Nick in the black part at the front of the stock. It was my gun of choice when I deer hunted every year. It was my dad's gun at the time but he passed and left it to me. It happens to be my favorite gun. Not only because it's beautiful blue steel and high gloss wood but because it was my father's and it's still set up the same way he had it. Even the same old Bushnell banner BDC scope.

I had lost the top of the cap on the elevation turret in the insert for the caliber specific BDC dial. Believe it or not I ordered one a few years back and they had them in stock. They sent me the replacement cap and a new little set of BDC dial replacements. They're ballistically calibrated for different calibers. They're in 100 yard increments and of course I've got the 30 caliber dial in. I absolutely love that gun.

I think the market today has gotten away from the beautiful blue steel and high gloss wood and it's a shame. To me the synthetic stock just have no character whatsoever. They're cranked out on an injection molding machine by the hundreds per day with no salt of beauty. So it kind of takes away from the whole 700 BDL tradition.

View attachment 6082207

I love the look of richly blued steel and high-gloss finished walnut.
I had a Weatherby Mark V deluxe with factory scope that I never could bring myself to take out hunting,
subjecting it to that wear and tear. It was a safe queen and occasional range gun to show off to friends.

Among the guns that I currently own, my "Favorite" big game rifle is just my Springfield M1A in .308, wearing a 4X scope, and with the nice commercial SA stock (glass bedded; it's a National Match rifle) taken off and a cheap USGA take-off stock ($40 back in the day, 40 years ago) on it. I don't care if my beater stock gets scuffed up or the metal on the stock gets some rust.

Yeah, .308 / 7.62 NATO is the most powerful rifle I own at the moment. I sold my .30-06 and 7MM Mag. Considering where I live and what I use rifles for, that's more than enough power for me.

I love the look of richly blued steel and high-gloss finished walnut.
I had a Weatherby Mark V deluxe with factory scope that I never could bring myself to take out hunting,
subjecting it to that wear and tear. It was a safe queen and occasional range gun to show off to friends.

Among the guns that I currently own, my "Favorite" big game rifle is just my Springfield M1A in .308, wearing a 4X scope, and with the nice commercial SA stock (glass bedded; it's a National Match rifle) taken off and a cheap USGA take-off stock ($40 back in the day, 40 years ago) on it. I don't care if my beater stock gets scuffed up or the metal on the stock gets some rust.

Yeah, .308 / 7.62 NATO is the most powerful rifle I own at the moment. I sold my .30-06 and 7MM Mag. Considering where I live and what I use rifles for, that's more than enough power for me.
Weatherly just had gorgeous rifles. I use to slobber of those rifles as a kid. I still remember the advertisements in the gun magazines.

Back
Top Bottom