• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your SBR lower is broken beyond repair?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
So I saw this question on another forum, the OP ask "what happens if your SBR lower breaks beyond repair?"

Someone answers with "You buy a new one and register it again going thru the long process wait."

So my question is, can't you just buy a new stripped lower that is virgin(no engraved or anything just a blank lower) and engrave using the SBR registered info? Say if my colt 6920 which I registered, broke, can I just build another SBR and have the engrave company engrave the same serial ect... on it and call it a day?

Than dispose of the broken registered lower properly.

Last edited:
So I saw this question on another forum, the OP ask "what happens if your SBR lower breaks beyond repair?"

Someone answers with "You buy a new one and register it again going thru the long process wait."

So my question is, can't you just buy a new stripped lower that is virgin(no engraved or anything just a blank lower) and engrave using the SBR registered info? Say if my colt 6920 which I registered, broke, can I just build another SBR and have the engrave company engrave the same serial ect... on it and call it a day?

Than dispose of the broken registered lower properly.

Nope, kind of like gemtax.

There was once a day when your serial number could hop from can to can, assuming the old one was destroyed.

If you did it you would be breaking the law.

I dont think you can buy a COMPLETELY blank lower, can you? Since the lower is considered a firearm itself, its serial numbered from the manufacturer...
I am pretty sure that all manufactured lowers require a serial number, but you can get an 80% finished stripped lower and complete it yourself : no serial number or markings are required, but are reccomended if it gets stolen or you decide to sell it down the road.
But I'm also pretty sure that the OP is asking about a hypothetical breakage. I can't imagine an aluminum lower being broken beyond repair unless it is run over by something very heavy.

Ya not broken just wondering if it broke. And yes those 80% lowers where it's nothing at all!

Why is that you can't replace something that used to exist? What law would I be breaking if I did that? I'm curious.

Yeah say if someone accidentally ran the rifle over bending the lower...

Ya not broken just wondering if it broke. And yes those 80% lowers where it's nothing at all!

Why is that you can't replace something that used to exist? What law would I be breaking if I did that? I'm curious.

Yeah say if someone accidentally ran the rifle over bending the lower...

Atf makes its own rules practically unchecked. You would be in possession of an unregistered SBR.

Back
Top Bottom