• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your SBR lower is broken beyond repair?

What about the upper? If you destroyed your lower wouldn't the upper be broken too? Your whole rifle would be gone and unusable!!!!

The upper isn't even part of the ATF equation since it isn't registered and you can put any upper, SBR or not, on a registered lower. (edit:Bypass beat me to it)

I know this is all hypothetical but I wouldn't risk breaking the law if it happened to me. I would just cry a little and fill out the forms and send off another check.

If you did complete an 80% lower for an SBR it would require a serial number and be engraved but you would just need to put your trust name and #001 on it, so hypothetically if it was damaged you could build another and have it engraved with the same markings as the first one that you could completely destroy and then you and the engraver would be the only people that would know that you broke the law.

The upper isn't even part of the ATF equation since it isn't registered and you can put any upper, SBR or not, on a registered lower. (edit:Bypass beat me to it)

I know this is all hypothetical but I wouldn't risk breaking the law if it happened to me. I would just cry a little and fill out the forms and send off another check.

If you did complete an 80% lower for an SBR it would require a serial number and be engraved but you would just need to put your trust name and #001 on it, so hypothetically if it was damaged you could build another and have it engraved with the same markings as the first one that you could completely destroy and then you and the engraver would be the only people that would know that you broke the law.

congratulations! you were just added to our watch list.

your pals at the ATF.

:thumb:

They may not know if a nonreputable makes a copy of the serial numbers, but it is still a new SBR and illegal.

You're right but if no one knows it won't hurt, right? Hahaha

Just like ATF don't know how many SBR there is out there that isn't registered. Those 14.5" barrels where most people won't even noticed without measuring it.

Well not really... The engraver only knows you're "getting" registered. Most SBR requires you to engrave same time as you submit the form 1. And yes this is exactly what I was trying to explain. What could they get you with? You not evading tax because you've paid for it and you have the stamp to prove it. Unless the ATF knows where you buried it. But me I would strap a big rock on it and sink it with the titanic

Last edited:
Well not really... The engraver only knows you're "getting" registered. Most SBR requires you to engrave same time as you submit the form 1. And yes this is exactly what I was trying to explain. What could they get you with? You not evading tax because you've paid for it and you have the stamp to prove it. Unless the ATF knows where you buried it. But me I would strap a big rock on it and sink it with the titanic

My post was on the assumption that you took it to the same engraver that did the first one. If you took the new receiver to a different engraver and the broken receiver was at the bottom of the lake then you would only have to worry about your conscience getting to you someday...

As far as what the ATF could get you with if they found out..?...I really don't need to find out. The laws seem to be written to confuse everyone anyway.

But since this is all hypothetical it should not concern the ATF at all...

:pop2: I sure am glad I own only baseball bats and tire irons.....guns what guns....you can petition the ATF to reverse the SBR, to return it to a regular rifle not under the NFA, so would they get the tax stamp, wonder if they would swap it to a new SBR lower or you would have to pay the $200 again???????

Last edited:
My post was on the assumption that you took it to the same engraver that did the first one. If you took the new receiver to a different engraver and the broken receiver was at the bottom of the lake then you would only have to worry about your conscience getting to you someday...

As far as what the ATF could get you with if they found out..?...I really don't need to find out. The laws seem to be written to confuse everyone anyway.

But since this is all hypothetical it should not concern the ATF at all...

Yeah ok well I'm not sure I alway have curious questions about the law, to me, it makes no sense.

:pop2: I sure am glad I own only baseball bats and tire irons.....guns what guns....you can petition the ATF to reverse the SBR, to return it to a regular rifle not under the NFA, so would they get the tax stamp, wonder if they would swap it to a new SBR lower or you would have to pay the $200 again???????

I know during the process if you cancel, they will refund the tax but I don't know if you switch it back to rifle, that they will refund the tax... Maybe? Why don't someone call hahah

This is kinda like saying I have a wrecked pickup--if a get another model just like it can I just switch VIN plates

no no hell no-lol

Back
Top Bottom