• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your SBR lower is broken beyond repair?

Ya not broken just wondering if it broke. And yes those 80% lowers where it's nothing at all!

Why is that you can't replace something that used to exist? What law would I be breaking if I did that? I'm curious.

Yeah say if someone accidentally ran the rifle over bending the lower...

You would be building a "new" SBR technically. "I had one just like it" isn't a free "I can replace it without doing anything" license. It really is no different than if your SBR was stolen and then you built a new one and didn't complete any paperwork in the eyes of the ATF.

you have to serialize it. i would be interested in knowing the ATF's take on this.
Not entirely correct.
If you are not completing the receiver with the intent to sell you are not considered a manufacturer and it does not require a serial number. http://www.cncguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0
http://www.cncguns.com//images/gunlaw2.jpg
About halfway down the page "However, these requirements are specific to licensed manufacturers and are not a requirement for nonlincensees manufacturing a firearm for their personal use."

You would be building a "new" SBR technically. "I had one just like it" isn't a free "I can replace it without doing anything" license. It really is no different than if your SBR was stolen and then you built a new one and didn't complete any paperwork in the eyes of the ATF.

Well you can't compare to a SBR being dispose of forever and a SBR stolen. One exist and the other doesn't exist as if it never was broken. Say if your SBR lower broke somehow and you scratch the engraved you made sure it can't be fixed and you go throw it off on a deep sea fishing trip, and you buy a new lower and engrave the same registered SBR info you have, same specs same serial same mfg, how would the ATF know?

Well you can't compare to a SBR being dispose of forever and a SBR stolen. One exist and the other doesn't exist as if it never was broken. Say if your SBR lower broke somehow and you scratch the engraved you made sure it can't be fixed and you go throw it off on a deep sea fishing trip, and you buy a new lower and engrave the same registered SBR info you have, same specs same serial same mfg, how would the ATF know?

They may not know if a nonreputable makes a copy of the serial numbers, but it is still a new SBR and illegal.

What about the upper? If you destroyed your lower wouldn't the upper be broken too? Your whole rifle would be gone and unusable!!!!

Upper doesn't matter on a SBR it is just the lower that counts. You can use any upper on the lower.

Back
Top Bottom