• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zeroing hunting rifle

54204A9B-E630-4667-B5C8-07C08A32E794.jpeg
Sighted these in with my dad on Saturday.

Got my 300 BLK zeroed at 50 yards, the average shot distance for any spot that my kids will be hunting in.
Got my 308 zeroed in at 200. There’s quite a few spots that I hunt where a 200 yard zero will be perfect.

I usually fire 2 shots to foul the bore a few days prior before I hit the woods to hunt at the beginning of the season. I set a target at 25 or 50 yards. At 25, I want to be dead-on. At 50, I want to be maybe 3/4" high. That should give me about a 150 yard zero for my rifle. If I use a few inches of hold-over (but still holding on fur, just up near the spine), I'll be good for 200 yards. I can't ever see a deer past 200 yards where I hunt. Not on any clearing, not along any road, not down any valley or creek, etc.

P.S. I expect the first shot from a lightly oiled cold bore to be up to a half-inch off.
It's that second shot that I use to check my zero.

Our idea of a 200yd shot where we hunt at is missing 4 or 5 times. I've had them so close they had to walk a little bit just for the scope to focus. I probable need to carry a baseball bat some days.

I usually fire 2 shots to foul the bore a few days prior before I hit the woods to hunt at the beginning of the season. I set a target at 25 or 50 yards. At 25, I want to be dead-on. At 50, I want to be maybe 3/4" high. That should give me about a 150 yard zero for my rifle. If I use a few inches of hold-over (but still holding on fur, just up near the spine), I'll be good for 200 yards. I can't ever see a deer past 200 yards where I hunt. Not on any clearing, not along any road, not down any valley or creek, etc.

P.S. I expect the first shot from a lightly oiled cold bore to be up to a half-inch off.
It's that second shot that I use to check my zero.

Our property has undergone a lot of change in the past couple of seasons. Logging of the entire tract has really opened the timber up. What used to be a good 100 yard average shot has changed to 200+. Some areas in our clearcut go much farther. My 200 yard zero is good for where I am at now. Anything inside of that is still no problem and requires only a minor adjustment in my aiming point.

Back
Top Bottom