• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10mm woods gun

The Rock Island Armory 10mm Ultra MS (1911 platform) weighs 38 oz. empty.
The Glock 20 is only 28 oz. empty. That's 10 fewer ounces. In other words, the steel framed 1911 weighs 1.33 times what the fantastic plastic gun does.

But, if you load them both, the weight gap will narrow a bit, because the Glock holds a lot more ammo! Glock = 15 +1. RIA = 8 + 1. The Glock's extra 7 cartridges are another 18 grams or 0.64 oz. each (per a dude on another forum who weighed several 10 mm auto factory loaded rounds). So the 10 oz. weight advantage of the Glock will be cut in half, and you'll only save a bit over 5 ounces.

Fully loaded Glock 20: 28 oz gun + 9.9 oz. ammo = about 38 oz.

Fully loaded Rock Island Armory: 38 oz. gun + 5.6 oz. ammo = 43.6 oz.

Reactions: MRH
My woods gun is a Glock 41 with a 10mm conversion barrel and a heavy spring. It's light and has a slimmer slide than a normal Glock 10mm. Polish the internals and drop is a 3.5lb connector and those first round hits are no problem.

Reactions: MRH
The Rock Island Armory 10mm Ultra MS (1911 platform) weighs 38 oz. empty.
The Glock 20 is only 28 oz. empty. That's 10 fewer ounces. In other words, the steel framed 1911 weighs 1.33 times what the fantastic plastic gun does.

But, if you load them both, the weight gap will narrow a bit, because the Glock holds a lot more ammo! Glock = 15 +1. RIA = 8 + 1. The Glock's extra 7 cartridges are another 18 grams or 0.64 oz. each (per a dude on another forum who weighed several 10 mm auto factory loaded rounds). So the 10 oz. weight advantage of the Glock will be cut in half, and you'll only save a bit over 5 ounces.

Fully loaded Glock 20: 28 oz gun + 9.9 oz. ammo = about 38 oz.

Fully loaded Rock Island Armory: 38 oz. gun + 5.6 oz. ammo = 43.6 oz.
Just because the mag holds more, doesn't mean you have to fill it.

I don't think I'd go with the practical answer on this one. You already have Glocks, but want something different. So get it! Get what you WANT, in your heart, not what makes the most logical and practical sense.

If you like the DA/ SA trigger system, how about the EAA Witness? Made by Tanfoglio in Italy.
I had a TZ-75, their 1980's era copy of the then-banned Czech CZ-75, in 9mm, and it was a great gun. It lasted for 20 years before the steel guide rod broke, and it was easier to trade it in for a different gun than to have a new part fabricated (the parts were no longer available new from the importer).

EAA Witness is a 33 oz. gun (empty) that has a double-stack mag. It's got 14 + 1 capacity.
https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-steel-full-size-tanfoglio-52

Suggested retail is $700, but per Gunbroker you can find one at a "buy it now" price of $500.

I’ve got a G40 and a 20 but I’ve find myself using the 20 more. It’s lighter, got a really bright set of fiber tritium sights on it and is just as accurate as my 40.
09C561D0-6611-4F0B-ACC9-5E86364964D4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom