• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/9/14 Hunting report

Just had 8 deer on me within the last 45 minutes. The only one i could have got a shot on was a yearling. I let her go then a big buck came in and ran off the big doe i had my eye on. He kept jumping on her back right in front of the whole family of deer. He ruined my chance for back straps.

That sucks.

I had some massive buck tracks under my stand this morning and I had one running around me in the moonlight but it kept a safe distance.
After I got on stand before daybreak I heard several running about in all directions then at first light I had a buck come up very cautiously to one of my pee wicks and sniffed it then backed away and walked into cover and up the hill.
Too dark yet to count its points so I did not rush a shot......it was't very big so I'm thing 4-6 pointer.

I got a text from my buddy and he busted his first one of the season near Dawson forest on private property, a decent 8 pointer.
I'm very happy for him as he has been pretty frustrated since he hasn't seen anything shootable since archery started and he's been out almost every day.

On a side note squirrels are some of if not the most idiotically optimistic animals. Watching them attempt to jump from tree A to tree B. Way up in the air and misgjudge the distance and they plumit to the groubd has got to be some of the funniest wildlife stuff i have ever seen.

I've never seen them miss but that must be hilarious.

I had one hang on by its back legs after I shot it with a pellet rifle then slowly lose its grip and fall to the ground like a missile.

Well walking out I found out all the deer had bedded down maybe 70 yards from my stand, soon as I took about 10 steps from my stand I saw a bunch of white flags waving good bye to me.

Not a deer in sight all day in Floyd county except the four sleeping on the highway. Had some fox squirrels and a hawk for entertainment though.

I figured I would go this afternoon. I'm sitting in a tree now and I'm BORED!!!! This just ain't for me anymore. Thank god I have a good signal so I can surf the web.

Back
Top Bottom