• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.17WSM new rimfire cartridge

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/01/04/winchester-introduces-3000-fps-rimfire-cartridge/
17-Winchester-Super-Mag.jpg
The most interesting thing about the .17WSM may be the casing it uses, which doesn’t come from a firearm at all. Winchester manufactures .27 caliber rimfire casings already for use in powered fasteners (what we rednecks call “nail guns”). What effect this will have on the cost of the new cartridge is unknown, but the pundits are agreed that any new rimfire caliber needs to be affordable or its chances of success are slim.

Two flavors have been announced so far; a 20-grain bullet reaching 3,000 feet per second, and a 25-grain bullet traveling at 2,600 feet per second. Muzzle energy on the 20-grain loading is rated at 400 foot pounds, with the slower 25-grain loading measuring 375 foot pounds.

Wonder if it will have enough pressure for a direct impingement system to overcome where the 17hmr has not been able to function in semi autos.

Also wondering if my Sparrow would be rated for it.

Thats pretty sweet. I used to hunt yotes with my cz452 in 22lr. After several unsuccessful hunts simply wounding the yotes, I went and bought a cz452 in 17hmr. The HMR did much better, but is still maahh. I think this WSM will be to perfect round to fill the performance void between rimfire and certerfire. Wonder how long it would take for rifle companys to make a rifle around this new round. Would love to have a zc455 in 17WSM.

Plus certain states with rimfire only seasons for predators. And this will suffer less wind drift than 17hmr so good for someone looking for distance.

That's a good point. I'm always up for a new one anyway, and the itty bitty ones are a blast.

I wish someone could figure out a reliable way to cram one into a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom