• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

18 Year old Handgun Laws

Spinks

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have searched this topic many times and I have never found a good, straight answer to my questions.

So everyone knows at the age of 21 you can walk into a gun store and purchase a handgun. What a lot of people don't know is that if you are at least 18 years old you can purchase a handgun private party from someone on a website like this one. Whether the seller is comfortable with this is another topic. There is quite a big gray area for the possession of handguns in the ages 18-21.

I basically want to know if it is legal for me to carry a handgun in my car. I bought one about a month ago and it has been safe and sound under my bed for the time I've owned it. I've read that yes I can carry it in the glove box or center console if I wish as long as I am not ineligible for a GA Handgun permit. At this point I am ineligible by age. I have read that I can carry it in a case, separated from ammunition.

I have read the entire GA Packing website and several other articles on Handgun laws. Is there anyone that can help clarify this for me? Please chime in!

IF you are legal to OWN (but not purchase) a handgun the it is presumable that it will be kept in your home and not on your person. According to the law, your vehicle is considered to be an extention of your home and therefore no further legal documentation is necessary.

ON THE OTHER HAND

Be prepared to be "hassled" if this weapon comes into knowledge of an LEO during the course of a traffic stop/investigation. I'm willing to bet that not every LEO will be as up to date on the law as you believe you are. You may be ok and free to leave, you may not.

Your best best bet is to either keep the weapon at home or keep a copy of the law in your pocket.

In a case like this, your best bet would be to keep it in the box (if you have it,) locked in the trunk while you're transporting it. Legally, you can carry it in the car just like anyone else, but like meastt said, LEO could give you some unnecessary heat. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yeah I should probably just keep it in the house. I have heard plenty of stories of people getting gun charges that were given to them when they were carrying guns legally and had to pay a lawyer to avoid major fines and jail time. Not my cup of tea. I think I'll just get a rifle.

I have had this question as well. Since I have a daughter in this age group, I have wondered about the legality of her carring a handgun in her car for SD. GA Code 16-11-132 addresses possession of handgun by person under 18, I get that, but 16-11-126 leaves a gray area for over 18 years of age but less than 21. Looks like a lawyer's paradise. It seems like part "a" would allow it.

((a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.)

selling privately i check to make sure the buyer is over 21, but that being said i am in no way shape or form obliged by law to check, as im not a dealer.

Sounds risky to me. When I was a 18 (Nixon was President), your car didn't get searched when the cops pulled you over like they do now. I kept a 22 rifle on the rear floorboard under a blanket. Not very useful , but it made me feel better. If I was to recommend anything to you today, it would be to first, wait until you are 21 and have a permit to carry. In the meantime I would be situationally aware, not go into questionable areas and carry pepper spray. Get involved in training programs in the meantime if you can.

Back
Top Bottom