• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

18 Year old Handgun Laws

It's a funny law, I started my Law Enforcement career at the age of 20. People always tell me there is no way I could have been a LEO at the age of 20 since I couldn't "Carry" a hand gun till I was 21! This law in and of its self is as good as the paper it's written on.

I do not think so!

From 16-11-126

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

I hope you understand that the underline portion has been repealed, and is no longer the law in Georgia.

He is not eligible and therefore can not have the gun in his car..... but if under 18

16-11-132 states

(E) Traveling to or from any activity described in subparagraphs (A) through (D) of this paragraph if the handgun in such person's possession is not loaded;

Gee Wizzzz Ga code sections are kinda clear like mud.

I hope you understand that the bolded portion of that statute has been repealed and is no longer the law in Georgia.

Actually the law in Georgia on this issue is very clear.

Just to be clear, a vehicle is not an "extension of your home." You can carry a gun in a vehicle because the Georgia legislature has made it one of the places you can have a gun. Your place of business is not an extension of your home, but likewise it is one of the places where you can carry a gun.

To summarize;

An 18 year old may legally buy and own a handgun.

An 18 year old may have a handgun anywhere in his vehicle. His or her name does not have to be on the title. This privilege does not extend to passengers of any age (except maybe in the rare case the passenger is the owner of both the vehicle and the gun).

If you ask 10 LEO these two questions, at least 8 of them will give the wrong answer.

Also, an 18 year with the appropriate licenses may openly carry a handgun while hunting or fishing, as well as hunt with a handgun.

Last edited:
What makes you think it has been repealed?

Ummm, the fact that it has been, two years ago.

Don't know where you are looking up Lexis-Nexis, but the Lexis-Nexis I find says

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (2012)

§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license .

The change was made in 2010.

Read the whole thing... he quoted section (d), not (a). Both are still there. (d) is expanding upon (a) to say who can carry without a permit in "any" private passenger vehicle (i.e. not just their own). It has not been repealed.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2012 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2012 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (2012)

§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

Back
Top Bottom