• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

18yo first purchase

xlr8ngn

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
44   0
Reaction score
My son purchased his first rifle (Tikka Superlite 308) with his own earned money as an 18yo from Cabela's 11 business days ago, and Cabela's said it still has a hold on it. He was born here in GA with no arrests or tickets as a juvenile or adult. Any idea on how long this can/likely will take, whether from a state/federal background check perspective or Cabela's perspective? Cabela's is saying up to 30 days. He is itching to sight in his new purchase for deer season and every day minute counts to him, lol. I appreciate any feedback or experience with this new 10 business day waiting period for newly eligible buyers.

My son purchased his first rifle (Tikka Superlite 308) with his own earned money as an 18yo from Cabela's 11 business days ago, and Cabela's said it still has a hold on it. He was born here in GA with no arrests or tickets as a juvenile or adult. Any idea on how long this can/likely will take, whether from a state/federal background check perspective or Cabela's perspective? Cabela's is saying up to 30 days. He is itching to sight in his new purchase for deer season and every day minute counts to him, lol. I appreciate any feedback or experience with this new 10 business day waiting period for newly eligible buyers.

Does he have a common first / last name combo?

That will likely be my recommendation soon. I plan to call the manager tomorrow to see what they say. I believe they have the option to release it if it has been more than 10 days without a response from the check.

Cabela's told him 30 days...

I was remembering correct, the BSCA includes an Enhanced NICS check for those under 21 to include a local check that includes state/local records for crimes committed as a minor.

That goes back to, are they waiting on NICS or is this a +10 Cabela's policy on top of the new enhanced +10 NICS.

That should help with any NICS delays due to someone with a similar name.

Was the 10 days a Cabela's policy? If so, was the NICS check already run or are they waiting the 10 days before running the NICS check?
They said since he is under 21 there is a law for 10 day waiting period, then after 10 days he followed up and they said 10 business days, now after 11 business days they are saying it is still on hold with no response on the check.

They said since he is under 21 there is a law for 10 day waiting period, then after 10 days he followed up and they said 10 business days, now after 11 business days they are saying it is still on hold with no response on the check.

If they haven't had a response, it looks like it's up to Cabela's.

• If 10 business days have elapsed and NICS has not informed a licensee the buyer (18-20 years of age) is prohibited, then the licensee has the discretion (but not the obligation) to transfer the firearm to the buyer. Whether a licensee exercises that discretion is a business decision for each dealer.

Back
Top Bottom