1911 for self defense?

Patronus: 4988506 said:
Ive had two 229's a 224 and a 22 SAS and LOVED them all. But when it came to the DA/SA change I ended up trading them all off. I now have gone back to EDCing my Glock 33 with two 15 round magazines back. There are few guns prettier than a Sig. ANd none that are really MORE reliable. But for carry weight and size I'll take a baby Glock every time. And for reliability, even Sig isn't better, just equal. And equal doesn't make it worth the extra weight.. especially when that weight actually brings less capacity. If we are comparing a Glock 17 to a Sig P226, I'd say the ONLY factors that are worth noting the difference in are weight, capacity an trigger consistency. All three categories where Glock wins. But I'd never carry a Glock 17 any way...it's just too long.

I have to say though, every time I see a Sig in a show of pawn shop I just want the damn thing so much. And then I get one and remember why I keep going back to Glock. lol.
If I remember correctly, you were a big g27 fan but then switched to ruger sr series. Is it back to glock for ya?

Ive had two 229's a 224 and a 22 SAS and LOVED them all. But when it came to the DA/SA change I ended up trading them all off. I now have gone back to EDCing my Glock 33 with two 15 round magazines back. There are few guns prettier than a Sig. ANd none that are really MORE reliable. But for carry weight and size I'll take a baby Glock every time. And for reliability, even Sig isn't better, just equal. And equal doesn't make it worth the extra weight.. especially when that weight actually brings less capacity. If we are comparing a Glock 17 to a Sig P226, I'd say the ONLY factors that are worth noting the difference in are weight, capacity an trigger consistency. All three categories where Glock wins. But I'd never carry a Glock 17 any way...it's just too long.

I have to say though, every time I see a Sig in a show of pawn shop I just want the damn thing so much. And then I get one and remember why I keep going back to Glock. lol.

I would say a p226 is more reliable than a glock in adverse conditions, but for a ccw gun they are both equally reliable.
I don't carry a sig often, I prefer my Kimber, it carries better, but like I said before, if I need capacity, the p226 is hard to beat (18+1 9mm). The SRT trigger is VERY consistent, and I think you should make sure the next sig you shoot has one. I bet it might change your mind about that.

I would say a p226 is more reliable than a glock in adverse conditions, but for a ccw gun they are both equally reliable.
I don't carry a sig often, I prefer my Kimber, it carries better, but like I said before, if I need capacity, the p226 is hard to beat (18+1 9mm). The SRT trigger is VERY consistent, and I think you should make sure the next sig you shoot has one. I bet it might change your mind about that.

Paid a grand with extra mags for my P227 SAS Gen2. Had ALL the bells and whistles including the SRT. Still no more reliable than a Glock. And being EQUALLY reliable under ANY conditions is not being MORE reliable. Sig is never MORE reliable than Glock, nor vice versa. And NO matter the reset, there will always be a difference between SA/DA and consistent from first shot to last. Glock is consistent every shot. Sign SA/DA's (or ANY SA/DA pistol) will never be consistent for every shot unless you manually cock it for the first shot of course. Not sure how you are comparing an SRT to a single method firing system to begin with. And really not sure how anyone can say that Sig is MORE reliable than Glock. And no, I'm not saying that Glock is MORE reliable than Sig. I'm simply saying that reliability is not an issue since they are equally reliable.

Paid a grand with extra mags for my P227 SAS Gen2. Had ALL the bells and whistles including the SRT. Still no more reliable than a Glock. And being EQUALLY reliable under ANY conditions is not being MORE reliable. Sig is never MORE reliable than Glock, nor vice versa. And NO matter the reset, there will always be a difference between SA/DA and consistent from first shot to last. Glock is consistent every shot. Sign SA/DA's (or ANY SA/DA pistol) will never be consistent for every shot unless you manually cock it for the first shot of course. Not sure how you are comparing an SRT to a single method firing system to begin with. And really not sure how anyone can say that Sig is MORE reliable than Glock. And no, I'm not saying that Glock is MORE reliable than Sig. I'm simply saying that reliability is not an issue since they are equally reliable.
There is a big difference between DA/SA trigger pull, I get that. The SRT trigger is superior to the regular is what I should have said.
Sig IS more reliable than glocks in adverse conditions, that is one of the reasons the Navy likes em.
check this out,
Than watch this...

Not very scientific, but it is the same test for both guns. The vids prove my point, there is a difference. It is one you should consider for a war gun. I am sure the glock is just fine for CCW though.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between DA/SA trigger pull, I get that. The SRT trigger is superior to the regular is what I should have said.
Sig IS more reliable than glocks in adverse conditions, that is one of the reasons the Navy likes em.
check this out,
Than watch this...

Not very scientific, but it is the same test for both guns. The vids prove my point, there is a difference. It is one you should consider for a war gun. I am sure the glock is just fine for CCW though.

Did you watch the 1st video? The P226 crapped out in the water test also. Water is certainly more dense than air, so I'd guess you'd get light strikes almost all of the time in any gun.

Did you watch the 1st video? The P226 crapped out in the water test also. Water is certainly more dense than air, so I'd guess you'd get light strikes almost all of the time in any gun.
True, but I never shoot UNDER water. The advantage of the sig is you can do multiple trigger pulls in DA and your light strike will eventually go boom.

The glock failed every time when dipped and drained, the sig ran fine.
That is the notable difference, the Sig functions when submerged and drained, glocks fail.

Last edited:
True, but I never shoot UNDER water. The advantage of the sig is you can do multiple trigger pulls in DA and your light strike will eventually go boom.

The glock failed every time when dipped, the sig ran fine.

You should shoot underwater more. That TP9V2 is pretty cool in that it's striker and has a double-action mode.

Saying a DA/SA will never be consistent is a load of bull. It all comes down to training. I've run a SIG P229 as my issue duty pistol for over 13 years now. We are issued a new pistol every 40,000rds......I'm on my 3rd one and getting very close to retiring it.

I will say that it is much harder to achieve consistency with a DA/SA than it is with a SAO or a striker-fired pistol where the trigger pull is the same every time, but it is not impossible. Everything comes down to proper practice, although some folks are never going to master it no matter how much practice they put into it. Simply put, while a Glock isn't as accurate as a SIG DA/SA, it is more than accurate enough for its intended purpose and much easier for the shooter to use.

Back
Top Bottom