• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 for self defense?

Patronus, you asked if any of my IPSC targets had ever fired back. I took the time to respond to your query, but you failed to reply. Maybe you missed it since this thread has gotten quite long. Here it is again:

"Patronus, ain't had an IPSC target shoot back at me yet.......

......however, I am a combat vet of the United States Marine Corps. I have fired shots in anger, well-aimed shots, with lethal intent behind every single trigger pull. I have been a Marine, cop and Fed for over 27 years now. I've seen the elephant, to use the phrase.

I've got the ribbons, medals, awards and scars to prove it.

How about you? Ever been shot at and shot back?

Shooting competitive sports like IPSC and IDPA will only improve your skills. After I started shooting IPSC, I found I was shooting much, much faster, with the same accuracy. My reload speeds became lightning fast. So, it made me shooting really fast, really accurate, and reload really fast. From the gunfights and shootings I've been involved in, I can professionally state those are all good things."

I ain't your sparky.

When I fire Shot 1 and Shot 2 into the same spot, that's consistency.

For that matter, Glock triggers aren't consistent shot-to-shot, either. That's why when they measure them for testing, they use 10 trigger pulls and average them. Yes, they are more consistent weight-wise than the first 2 shots of a DA/SA, but they are not the same.
No, you're not "my" sparky. In fact, I rather doubt you are all that sparky at all. Based on your ability to COMPLETELY misunderstand the entire conversation at any rate. Trigger consistency(the subject of the debate) is not SHOT PLACEMENT or accuracy, it's about the trigger pull being the same length, same weight and same reset every shot. Now is it perfect to the last micrometer and last erg of force needed to break? Probably not. But if you can't grasp the difference between the DOUBLE action, 1/2-3/4 inch, 8-10 pound first pull of the trigger and the 1/4-1/2 inch 3.5-5.5 pound crisp follow up shots versus the system where EVERY time you squeeze the trigger is the same range of length and the same range of weight(be in the 1/2 inch 5.5 pound every pull of the Glock or the 1/4 inch 4 pound single action of a SAO 1911, then sparky was a well applied bit of mocking.

It never ceases to amaze and amuse how people can get their dander up over something they have totally mis-characterized.

Sparky.

No, you're not "my" sparky. In fact, I rather doubt you are all that sparky at all. Based on your ability to COMPLETELY misunderstand the entire conversation at any rate. Trigger consistency(the subject of the debate) is not SHOT PLACEMENT or accuracy, it's about the trigger pull being the same length, same weight and same reset every shot. Now is it perfect to the last micrometer and last erg of force needed to break? Probably not. But if you can't grasp the difference between the DOUBLE action, 1/2-3/4 inch, 8-10 pound first pull of the trigger and the 1/4-1/2 inch 3.5-5.5 pound crisp follow up shots versus the system where EVERY time you squeeze the trigger is the same range of length and the same range of weight(be in the 1/2 inch 5.5 pound every pull of the Glock or the 1/4 inch 4 pound single action of a SAO 1911, then sparky was a well applied bit of mocking.

It never ceases to amaze and amuse how people can get their dander up over something they have totally mis-characterized.

Sparky.

The guy offered you a chance to attend a free course. You could have taken him up on it and you guys would probably really like one another. Instead you choose to insult him?

I'll take the free course if you won't.

My invite to come and take my class for free still stands.

I can thoroughly grasp the difference in trigger pulls from shot-to-shot. 27 years as a USMC Scout/Sniper, LE Sniper and Sniper Instructor has taught me a bit about trigger control.

The only caveat to the invite is that we behave like adults and stop the name-calling.

Shall I see you there?

Patronus, ain't had an IPSC target shoot back at me yet.......

......however, I am a combat vet of the United States Marine Corps. I have fired shots in anger, well-aimed shots, with lethal intent behind every single trigger pull. I have been a Marine, cop and Fed for over 27 years now. I've seen the elephant, to use the phrase.

I've got the ribbons, medals, awards and scars to prove it.

How about you? Ever been shot at and shot back?

Shooting competitive sports like IPSC and IDPA will only improve your skills. After I started shooting IPSC, I found I was shooting much, much faster, with the same accuracy. My reload speeds became lightning fast. So, it made me shooting really fast, really accurate, and reload really fast. From the gunfights and shootings I've been involved in, I can professionally state those are all good things.

Nope. I spent 6 years in the army but ETS May of 89. My unit was on stand by for Desert Shield when I was out processing at Ft Riley. Drew my gun on two occasions as a civilian but never had to fire. Looked down the barrel of a 30.06 in the hands of one drunk, pissed off redneck because I laughed at his assertion that Play Station was gubmint mind control and didn't even pee my pants. Have run into a burning building, performed the Heimlich maneuver and rescued one squirrel from certain death at the claws of one mean ass house cat, if that counts for anything. But I never earned my cape so I can't really compete with you. Can I still pee standing up?

The guy offered you a chance to attend a free course. You could have taken him up on it and you guys would probably really like one another. Instead you choose to insult him?

I'll take the free course if you won't.
you mind keeping your nose out long enough for me to catch up here? :p

I never said you hadn't "earned a cape". You made a disparaging remark about targets shooting back. I replied to it. No reason to get YOUR dander up

Back
Top Bottom