• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 for self defense?

I ain't your sparky.

When I fire Shot 1 and Shot 2 into the same spot, that's consistency.

For that matter, Glock triggers aren't consistent shot-to-shot, either. That's why when they measure them for testing, they use 10 trigger pulls and average them. Yes, they are more consistent weight-wise than the first 2 shots of a DA/SA, but they are not truly consistent.

Last edited:
In every pistol match I've ever been to the #1 pistol type that malfunctions are 1911's. Not saying that there are many great 1911's. Just saying it is a very old design, that has been built by so many manufactures that it's almost not fair to call them all 1911's. Are we talking Taurus, Kimber, Rock Island? Are we talking a $350 or $1350 1911? So I'd say in general I would NEVER pick up a 1911 and carry it for self defense the way I'd be comfortable picking up a Glock, M&P, CZ and putting 100 rounds through it and throwing it on my hip.

I actually have tried to bend a trigger when hunting and forgot safety was on.
Fess up how many here have at least once.
Paying more attention to the target with excitement and adrenaline flowing than what you should be doing.
It takes practice for it to be muscle memory and automatic with out thought.

I don't recall ever forgetting my safety was on while hunting. I may have years ago, but I don't think so. Which brings me to your second post. I have hunted with the same rifle since I was 14. I have always taken the safety off first thing when I hear deer coming...Even before I see them. Just like I will draw my bow sometimes before I see a deer but I know they're coming. It is practice and muscle memory with my safety that makes me react the same way every time, without thought. I totally agree with you from my own personal experience.

Patronus, I'm teaching a Combat Handgun course in Carrollton on September 26. I am offering you a FREE slot in the course if you'd like to attend. I will run a P229 for all the demos I will be shooting, including the Tactical Pistol Course test at the end.

You've made multiple comments to me in this thread without knowing who I am. I replied to the first one, but you ignored it. So, come on out and shoot with me for free. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/combat-handgun-saturday-september-26-carrollton-ga.978073/

Patronus, I'm teaching a Combat Handgun course in Carrollton on September 26. I am offering you a FREE slot in the course if you'd like to attend. I will run a P229 for all the demos I will be shooting, including the Tactical Pistol Course test at the end.

You've made multiple comments to me in this thread without knowing who I am. I replied to the first one, but you ignored it. So, come on out and shoot with me for free. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/combat-handgun-saturday-september-26-carrollton-ga.978073/

You're a hack and you can't shoot. Can I come for free? :D

Back
Top Bottom