• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 vs 357/44mag for kids 1st deer rifle

I hate to say it, but I'm not much of a fan of 223 on deer size targets. That said, it would have little to no recoil. If you get @ a 7lb rifle any of those would have little to no recoil. That said, as mentioned before the 243 would be a good choice. Next for a pistol cartridge, I'd pick the 44 or even a 45 Colt. These would have excellent knock down power with little to no recoil. But if you're going to shoot more than say 100yds, go with the 243. You get him a good quality gun lever or bolt, it'll last him a lifetime

44mag, if you find a ruger auto loader carbine, recoil is almost negligible and will knock down any deer under 100 yards. Also the size is exactly like a 10/22.

Something like this CVA Scout V2 single shot for safety training and marksmanship discipline won't break the bank. The 44 MAG version would be ideal and it'll share same caliber when you buy him that first wheel gun.

CVA Scout 44MAG.jpg

FYI....Just me 2¢ worth.
I have a .357 Henry lever rifle, and it has almost no recoil when shooting. Rifle is a little heavy to carry around, but they make a single shot .357 that should work great. Also on a .223 round at 62 gr would have to be a good shot to drop a deer. On a .357 round at 140~150 gr would have more "hitting" energy, and the shot doesn't have to be as accurate to drop a deer.
You know how it is on a first deer, he's not going to be very steady with his aim......
+1

I have hunted with a Ruger M77 357 bolt action rifle for a few years. I use 158 grain semi jacketed hollow points that Academy use to sell under their Monarch brand. Great round out to 75 yards. Little recoil and it is not loud out of a rifle barrel. Behind the shoulder lung/heart shots only.

For a 6yo, use something like an AR for the adjustable stock. The adjustable stock is huge for setting a kid up with a gun so they can learn to shoot properly. Weight doesn't matter because all shots will be from supported aim. A 22lr AR is an excellent training tool because recoil of a blowback AR is similar to the 223. There's no need to shoot the centerfire in practice if have them set up the same.

223 kills like any of the usual deer rounds except it may sometimes take thirty yards for the blood trail to start. That's on heart/lung shots. If you high shoulder them they only go straight down.

6.5 Grendel is same on deer as 30/30 except it shoots flatter and kicks less. The Grendel is better than 223 but not enough I'd stretch my budget to get one if I already had a 223 and money was a consideration.

Anything with more powder or bullet weight than these is going to have too much recoil. The only buy-it-at-WalMart cartridge suitable is 22-250 but it doesn't fit in an AR. Any of the 308-class cartridges usually recommended for kids has to be loaded so far down they're basically 6.5 Grendel.

If you want examples of how this works check out my little killers on Dirt Road Grocery Store on fb or yt.

I have a Ruger 44mag ,Rossi 357 both are great guns under 100 yards. My gun is a Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62x39. Have shoulder problems so I don’t do recoil very well. Look at the Ruger Ranch I know they come in 7.62x39,223,300blackout ,350 legend and 450 bushmaster. I love mine can’t wait till season opens they are short and light weight Good luck

If I was in the OPs shoes this would be an easy decision because who can afford a pistol caliber carbine these days?
Growing up I used a Winchester 94 30-30 when I started hunting and I at 13 I maybe weighed a buck fifteen so I practiced a lot to learn to get used to the recoil. I have heard that the .243 was a popular choice for beginners before the AR became more common.
My dad had major back surgery right before hunting season one year and had to use an M1 carbine to avoid any damage to his spine from recoil. He used JHP and not FMJ of course and was able to take a small buck humanely.

Back
Top Bottom