• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 vs 357/44mag for kids 1st deer rifle

If I was in the OPs shoes this would be an easy decision because who can afford a pistol caliber carbine these days?
Growing up I used a Winchester 94 30-30 when I started hunting and I at 13 I maybe weighed a buck fifteen so I practiced a lot to learn to get used to the recoil. I have heard that the .243 was a popular choice for beginners before the AR became more common.
My dad had major back surgery right before hunting season one year and had to use an M1 carbine to avoid any damage to his spine from recoil. He used JHP and not FMJ of course and was able to take a small buck humanely.
Agree 100%. I've used a 1970 Model 94 Winchester in 30/30 since the age of 13. The recoil isn't that bad, and you always have the option of the managed recoil ammo. Or, you can also add a limbsaver recoil pad. I added one to mine since it only had the original hard buttplate. Made a world of difference. I can go through two boxes of ammo at the range and it's literally like shooting a 5.56.

I think the first consideration should be getting the 6-year old kid to be a good shot, easily capable of holding a 5" group at 50 yards, to kill deer out to that distance. No jerking the trigger. And not much time required staring through the scope and moving his head around to find the sweet spot for eye placement to get a full view. The rifle should shoulder naturally, fit him right, and he should be good at both sigting it and squeezing the trigger w/o jerking.

For the six year old kid to be a good marksman, he probably needs a gun with BOTH low noise and less muzzle blast than a .223 or 243 would have. And LESS recoil than a .44 Mag would have.

So, I'm thinking that .300 Blackout or .357 magnum would be the best choices. The kid could always practice with .38 specials at first, and save the magnum rounds for the last range session before the hunt.

If you are not to far from Dahlonega Gold &pawn they had a Rossi R92 in 357/38 for around 600 new. I have had 3 of them and they are great guns. I have a all weather one I planning on hunting with this year

Please don't get a 6 year old a .243

I think the first consideration should be getting the 6-year old kid to be a good shot, easily capable of holding a 5" group at 50 yards, to kill deer out to that distance. No jerking the trigger. And not much time required staring through the scope and moving his head around to find the sweet spot for eye placement to get a full view. The rifle should shoulder naturally, fit him right, and he should be good at both sigting it and squeezing the trigger w/o jerking.

For the six year old kid to be a good marksman, he probably needs a gun with BOTH low noise and less muzzle blast than a .223 or 243 would have. And LESS recoil than a .44 Mag would have.

So, I'm thinking that .300 Blackout or .357 magnum would be the best choices. The kid could always practice with .38 specials at first, and save the magnum rounds for the last range session before the hunt.
Good point about noise and blast. You couldn't pay either of mine to shoot without eye and ear pro.

Also true about 44 mag. That's full house 30-30 level recoil. Too much. I know because that's what I started with. It took lots of practice and concentration later in life to get over the flinch.

First off, good luck taking a 6 year old. Been there done that. That being said, make sure the gun fits him. Pull out one of the ARs with a collapsible stock. Easily adjustable to small shooters. Preferably with a scope. 5.56 is not great for deer but with a confident shooter and a soft point bullet they do just fine. When he gets bigger and stronger, a forever gun with more punch that he can give his boy

Oh, and take the loudener (flash suppressor) off of it or put a linear flash suppressor on it. That will make it more pleasant for the little guy to shoot. He won’t need hearing protection in the woods either

I'm a big fan of 7mm-08. I loaded up some very low recoil rounds for my 7 yr old girl. 120gr Barnes TTSX with a below book minimum charge of H4895. Almost no recoil from a Ruger M77 compact. That load dropped this deer in his tracks at ~75yds.

Attachments

• 665094336.jpg
    665094336.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210206_103601.jpg
    20210206_103601.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210206_113404.jpg
    20210206_113404.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210117_150752.jpg
    20210117_150752.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 3
The biggest favor you can do for him is to add weight to the buttstock, which helps him hold the gun, and is a "fix" that actually reduces recoil.

Just 6 oz of weight will make a noticeable difference.

What's everyone's thoughts on a kids first deer rifle? He's 6, but he's solid - not a toothpick type boy.
I'd considered a single shot 223 but I'm wondering if there arnt better options...

For instance - pistol calibers. I know ruger made some semi auto 44mags. Thats what got me thinking. Open to 357/44 in levers or single shots also.

I feel like recoil would be similar, without giving up bullet diameter. Not worried ab distance as we'll be woods hunting with shots around 50 yards.

Being that i have very little experience with pistol calibers in rifles, id love to hear any ideas/advice yall care to share.

Ruger American in something like 300BO, 7.62x 39, or 350 legend is going to be hard to beat.

Everything else is going to be too heavy or he will soon out-grow a single shot xyz.

Youth stock & roll on.

I got my 9 yr old an American in 308 & sourced a youth stock: that was 3 years ago & he has really come around to it after shooting reduced loads for 2 years- that’s another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom