• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.224 Valkyrie

I believe that PRS has a speed limit.

Everything is a trade-off with cartridges. Steep shoulder angle = more powder but comes with feeding issues. More case capacity = more fps = harder on the throat. Anything new is typically going to be between 2 other cartridges or a side-grade of a current one. The closest you will get to "better" will typically be short and fat with the "inherent accuracy" but if you go too crazy with it I would bet there would be feeding issues introduced. If you go to a level where the new cartridge is the fastest <insert caliber here> then you will run into problems like it needing a different twist that is outside of the norm so then you have to get custom barrels beyond a different reamer but also a different twist. I have no problem with new cartridges but with how many there are, I just don't have the resources to constantly get new barrels and dies.
The 90 grain is only running at around 2700fps. It's the high BC that makes it a long range shooter, not muzzle velocity.

This cartridge is not a "between". It's unique as the longest supersonic round available in an AR 15 platform.

I seriously doubt there will be feeding issues with a round that was specifically designed to run in an AR.

If you are going to have to get a new barrel reamed for this cartridge, there should be no issue with getting the proper twist rate at the same time.

This cartridge was designed for the target and varmint shooter. the big difference between this and an AR10 is weight. I stopped shooting gas gun matches because the AR10 is HEAVY, this is a game changer Plus with it being lighter its going to be easier for youth/females to shoot. Hopefully I get to try one out in the next couple of months, if not I will see it at SHOT.

Bear44 Bear44 if it pans out this would be THE AR upper that we mess with. I was going to do the AR Turbo but its to much of an hassle for the average joe
Let me know. This could easily be on my list.

This is designed to fit the AR 15 platform. I may be wrong, but I think that makes it the longest range supersonic cartridge available in an AR 15. By several hundred yards.
I think 6.5G is SS to 1200

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If you can toss a 90 gr Berger vld at 3000, yeah, it'll be supersonic at 1300 yards and sea level. I dunno what velocity they get though. Didn't watch the video but did run some numbers.

the big difference is going to be how many manufacturers get behind this caliber. The big plus so far is Federal making ammo/brass for the round. In the past, that was the downfall of most of the "wildcat" calibers, not having factory ammo or brass with the proper headstamp. I shoot a variety of calibers and usually want to have the proper headstamp for each round/rifle, so there's no confusion. Sure you can convert 556 into 300BO but unless I make changes I'd rather just have dedicated brass for each platform. Main reason I never went to K Hornet, 280 AI, etc. If I convert one of my rifles in that chamber I'd have to convert all of them, at least with my thinking.

Federal has already stepped up to the plate for this, so that's a huge step. the concept is sound, and with the right backing and marketing, this could be a good round for those that are looking for specific needs. IMHO if you are hunting with an AR15, the 6.8 is hard to beat with the right combination of bullet and powder but typically at closer ranges. If you plan to shoot subsonic and have a can, the 300BO is a good round. If you want a bit more of a longer range AR15 or plan to run PRS but don't want to move to the AR10 platform, this would be a great option.

This could be a boon for 6.8SPC shooters, and possibly shed more light on a great caliber. In the past the fact that you needed new mags and bolt was too much of a stretch for some, hence the 300AAC BO brought to life (and it's much more oriented towards subsonic use). I'm just hoping that it means there might be some more affordable options for 6.8SPC magazines in the future. I have a couple of PRI and Barrett mags but for $40-60 each, it would be nice to see Magpul or someone come out with a more reasonable mag that allows for longer OAL cartridges (they make a 6.8mag currently but it is proprietary for the LWRCi Six8 lowers). For me, I already have a 6.8 barrel and bolt setup, so just get a second upper with a new 224V barrel and I'm set. I even have brass already but would obviously like to keep the 6.8 and 224V brass with unique headstamps.

As someone mentioned, I would guess that they are going after the success of the Creedmore rounds from Hornady. Out of the box Sub MOA performance and 308 pattern rifles. take that same bump (308 -> 6.5C = 6.8SPC -> 224V) but in the smaller platform that has WAY more people running around with them.

ValkyrieBallisticChart_Graphic.jpg

ValkyrieRecoilChart_Graphic.jpg

i'll be waiting to see how it pans out...

Back
Top Bottom