• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

271 acres, $100k Darien, Ga. (McIntosh county)

Lordy.I was a bouncer at the Cypress Lounge back in the 80s.Then i got myself promoted to the bouncer at JRs Double Nickle for several years.I was the only law for several long miles.All i did besides bounce was check handguns and 12 inch bowies at the door!
And if you didn't have one, you loaned em one.

My grandfather built a house on Jekyll Island in 1955. He died just before I was born but all during the 70's we would spend summers on Jekyll. Dad worked for Ga Tech amd every August they had meeting at the Bucaneer. We loved that pool. It was a great time to be a kid. We used to hang out at the pool at the Wanderer. That's the only hotel that wouldn't kick us out. As a kid I never knew the significance of the name. Turns out it was a notorious slave ship. The property I own now used to belong to my great aunt. She bought it in the 50's and they had a trailer on it. It was their fish camp. I could never imagine myself not being close to the Ga coast.
First time we went to Shellman was around 07. It was a different world down that short access road off of 17. We drove down several streets and everywhere we looked we saw 20 and 30 year sad looking trailers with big expensive boats parked beside them. You could tell where the priorities were there.
Around the same time an old very wealthy guy I used to know named Armstrong went down there and did a good bit of developing in the area. I think he was the one that got the golf course built there.
I still like Shellman better than anywhere else in the county. But I like Waverly and Woodbine better. It's a lot like Shellman the way lots of the streets run down to a community boat ramp. And you got the houses on stilts like I always loved. Best part is it's in Camden County not McIntosh or Glynn. If you're not living on the islands you don't want to live in Glynn Co. Brunswick is like a smaller version of Macon but with the added problem of constant water and sewage problems. I've never seen so many boil water advisories in my life as Brunswick.

Brunswick is where derelicts go to die.
Yeah that would be any of the streets or neighborhoods across from the Toras Causeway and everything behind the Winn Dixie shopping center right down from there. There's an area close to the water treatment plant called Arco that's as bad as Bloomfield or Unionville.

Brunswick is double the state and national average for both property and violent crimes. They're trying hard to rebuild old downtown but they'll have to change that stat to make any meaningful long term changes.

Brunswick is double the state and national average for both property and violent crimes. They're trying hard to rebuild old downtown but they'll have to change that stat to make any meaningful long term changes.
I've walked around downtown Brunswick and I thought the same thing as I do or did when I last walked around downtown Maxon. Lots of potential and it's a shame the state of some of the historic buildings. But nobody is gonna do anything about it for various reasons.

I've owned land. Now am in the mindset of rather not. #1 rule for me is live on it or close by. And even then, you may discover someone dumped on it. Storms blow over trees, drought and beetles kill em, interior roads need maintenance, beavers dam up creeks etc. Plus, not a liquid asset. I don't know enough about harvesting timber to consider that angle. You can be left with a mess. I know someone that had dirt stolen. He lived out of state. Sued, company filed bankruptcy, got nothing. Nope, too much of an investment for recreation. Just not for me

Back
Top Bottom