• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

271 acres, $100k Darien, Ga. (McIntosh county)

I own 6 separate lots in Shellman Bluff. If you have any sort of structure they'll tax you. Metal carport, portable carport, falling in green house, 8x8 metal shed, pup tent, ect. You have to watch your appraisal closely and be ready to dispute it. They drive around the county taking pictures of boats and send tax bills to owners who live in other counties. The taxes I pay down here are higher than what I paid in Walton county and its worth less down here. Property owners pick up the slack for a very rural county. It's haves and have nots. I'm not sure if the government is corrupt or incompetent. I think some of both. They just spent almost $200k to buy the old Wendys to turn it in to a welcome center. Never mind the $300k they spent 3 years ago for the property where the old café Risqué used to be which was supposed to be the welcome center. They seem to bumble around. That tract of land looks like it's mostly marshland. Look at the map and where there are trees is usable. Most of the other would be nearly inaccessible. I shot a 200+ lb boar hog just down Cathead Creek next to I-95 so I'm sure there would be pigs there. Still interesting though. I have been looking at much smaller tracts down here to set up a personal shooting range and I sure haven't found anything in that price range. I might ride down there the next few days and take a peek. I don't have $100k burning a hole in my pocket but this is interesting. Maybe start a mosquito research center.

I drove to Savannah from Tampa up I-95 two weeks ago. They cleared all the trees along the highway before the fences along that stretch, especially in Camden. I can tell you I saw plenty of hogs wallowing in the ditches right by the interstate.

I also saw a big ol' McIntosh County Sheriff F-150 sitting in the median too on both Friday and Sunday coming back. Back in the early 2000s they always has some pulled over going south...

I drove to Savannah from Tampa up I-95 two weeks ago. They cleared all the trees along the highway before the fences along that stretch, especially in Camden. I can tell you I saw plenty of hogs wallowing in the ditches right by the interstate.

I also saw a big ol' McIntosh County Sheriff F-150 sitting in the median too on both Friday and Sunday coming back. Back in the early 2000s they always has some pulled over going south...
The tree work along the interstate is about cutting back on potential hurricane damage. They were doing it at exit 129 when I worked at the port.
McIntosh Co STAYS on I95 everyday . I met one of those deputies in the blue F150. He had an AR and an 870 SBS on the front passenger seat. Camden County used to be the worst in the state for interstate speed traps but McIntosh has to be the worst now.

Don't know, but the Cypress in Darien is the definition of a dive bar. It always reminded me of an old long gone biker hole in south Macon called The Corner Pocket.

Anybody ever tell you about the Buccaneer. Wide open bar, whore house in trailers, gambling, - like something out of movie, or so a friend told me.

Praying for Sheetrock tells all about Poppell telling people those were his hogs no matter where they were shot. .

I worked for one of the most prominent attorneys in SE Georgia. That's exactly what he told me in 1976 (check the publication date on the book). He told me that in no circumstance was I to go hog hunting in Mcintosh without getting an o.k. from the Sheriff. My boss told me to not even begin to think that I could get in and out of the county without the Sheriff knowing.

I have been in probably half of the 159 Superior Courts in Georgia, and Long and Mcintosh are the only two counties where in my mind the juries were "fixed" - first by who was called for jury duty, then by their decision.

McIntosh was like 70% black, and the jurors called for criminal cases would be 100% white. During the 60 - 90s, it was consistently the poorest county in Georgia, and then when St. Simons and Jekyll got too expensive, some of the gentry started moving north.

Anybody ever tell you about the Buccaneer. Wide open bar, whore house in trailers, gambling, - like something out of movie, or so a friend told me.
I heard stories about the Buccaneer from locals I worked with at the port. For a while I had it confused with the Buccaneer Inn on Jekyll which was where my grandparents used to stay when they went down there. I us t have circled that island 2 or 3 times looking for it when we first went back down there in 06. But it was long gone by then. Nothing left now but post cards of it.
But yeah as far as the Buccaneer in McIntosh it's quite the legend in the area.

I heard stories about the Buccaneer from locals I worked with at the port. For a while I had it confused with the Buccaneer Inn on Jekyll which was where my grandparents used to stay when they went down there. I us t have circled that island 2 or 3 times looking for it when we first went back down there in 06. But it was long gone by then. Nothing left now but post cards of it.
But yeah as far as the Buccaneer in McIntosh it's quite the legend in the area.
My dad was general manager, mom the bookkeeper, for the Bucaneer Motor Lodge on Jekyll in the 70's. That's when Mr. Boatwright was a majority stakeholder. Great /time to be a kid. Sad it's gone now.

Well this thread turned out to be interesting...And I just ordered "praying for sheetrock" from an online second hand bookstore. $3.98, I'm in.

Well this thread turned out to be interesting...And I just ordered "praying for sheetrock" from an online second hand bookstore. $3.98, I'm in.
Hell I just checked it from the LI- berry. Funny thing about the book is the lady that wrote it is from Macon. Some parts of it kinda drag along like the parts about Tue hippie activist lawyers that moved down to Brunswick to open a legal aid office and their back and forth with the black community in McIntosh. Overall I think this book was written with a liberal professor type slant to it. But the historical parts are still good.

Reactions: MRH
My dad was general manager, mom the bookkeeper, for the Bucaneer Motor Lodge on Jekyll in the 70's. That's when Mr. Boatwright was a majority stakeholder. Great /time to be a kid. Sad it's gone now.

My grandfather built a house on Jekyll Island in 1955. He died just before I was born but all during the 70's we would spend summers on Jekyll. Dad worked for Ga Tech amd every August they had meeting at the Bucaneer. We loved that pool. It was a great time to be a kid. We used to hang out at the pool at the Wanderer. That's the only hotel that wouldn't kick us out. As a kid I never knew the significance of the name. Turns out it was a notorious slave ship. The property I own now used to belong to my great aunt. She bought it in the 50's and they had a trailer on it. It was their fish camp. I could never imagine myself not being close to the Ga coast.

My best friend on the island taught me a little about sailing. His dad was the manager at the Wanderer. We used to stay there after leaving Jekyll. He'll I spent my honeymoon at the Wanderer, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom