• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

30-06 vs 308 for whitetail

The Ruger M77 in 7MM Mag I had was rated at 25 ft. lbs of recoil. Last deer I took with it, was at 250 yards. Took 3 inches of his neck bone out, flipped him completely over and turned him back to front. Dressed out at over 200 lbs. (Texas)

30-06, cause I don't own a .308.
But then I never thought about the Little Debbie factor...
kram.gif

I used both and killed deer with both. However, I have killed more deer with a 7.62x39 because that is what I carry most of the time. If the shots are under 100 yards, deer really don't care; just hit them correctly for a clean kill.

A little off subject but I shot my first deer with a .243 [which is derived from the .308 case, so it is kind of relevant], (not my first deer, but the first I have shot with a .243) last week. Left shoulder, classic heart shot, ran about 120 yards, found hair but not a drop of blood for 70 yards. A little on a leaf and on a broomsage stalk then nothing. Luckily his dragging the shoulder left enough sign to track without blood and I located him. Is this normal for a .243?
As regards the .308 vs 30-06 debate I have shot more deer with the .308 but no recovery issues with either.

shot 2 with my 243 this year,1 was DRT, the other made it about 30 yards.Shot 2 with my 308 this year 1 DRT, the other walked about 40 yards.waiting on one to walk in front of the 270 next

Have nothing against a .30 06, saw my brother take a deer out, with 2 shots through the heart at 200 yards, said deer running flat out at the time. That M1 Garand was dead on accurate, also saw him take the bottom of a beer can at 300 yards, with peep sights.

Back
Top Bottom