• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300AAC-hoghunter and Backwater Boars

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
My brother, a friend, and I all decided we needed to go hunting a few weeks ago. My brother and the friend live in Missouri and we haven't been able to hang out much in the last few years. My brother and I had never hunted, but we wanted to. I decided to set something up, but had no idea where to start. My first step was send a PM to 300AAC-hoghunter. He has made a lot of good posts here and has setup hunts for other members.

300AAC was great to deal with. He answered my questions and communicated often. He got something setup pretty quick and we were pumped. Well, that wound up falling through, I'll let 300AAC explain that if he wants to. Anyway, he offered to give our deposit back or find something else. My guys already made plans so I said find something! I know it took him a ton of work, but he did not disappoint. We were going to hunt with Backwater Boar Hunts.

We got there late on Friday and the campfire was already going for us. The cabin was just what we needed; beds, a bathroom, a fridge, and sink. Not too much, not too little.

Saturday, we met at 6 AM and were greeted with eggs and deer sausage. 300AAC setup with me and I tried to soak in some of the knowledge he had. In the distance we heard Anthony's (Backwater owner) dogs barking. Yep, dogs. This wasn't a sit in the blind and wait setup. They got the hogs moving with dogs. These little 35 lb Florida Curs were friendly and playful at the camp. They were almost cute. Do not be deceived. These are some BA hog dogs. The barks would come closer and then they'd turn. Closer again, and another turn. Pretty exciting as you wait for the hogs to come barreling past you. That didn't happen though. Instead, all the sudden we heard a ton of squealing. The dogs caught the hog. Seconds later, Anthony drove up and told us to leave our stuff and get in the truck! If you want the details, PM me. Here, I'll just say that now I know why big knives are called "pig stickers". It was an intense experience!

My brother and friend both got hogs the same way. My friend got a few shots off but missed. We also saw 4 deer over the weekend within 40yds. We had a lot of laughs hanging out and a lot of fun in the woods. Thank you, 300AAC-hoghunter and Backwater Boars!

First picture is a view from one of the blinds. The setups vary from blinds, to open woods, to tree stands.
20131013_171831.jpg

The second picture is dinner this weekend.
20131012_112101.jpg

And yes, I picked up that new avatar over the weekend, LOL

Last edited:
Hunting hogs with dogs and knives is straight up Hawaii style! Although the locals I know don't even bring guns with them, just knives.

LOL, yeah, I had a survival kit, knives, snake boots, camo, rifle, extra mag, hand gun,... Anthony had blue jean overalls, hiking boots, and a Ka-bar.

LOL, yeah, I had a survival kit, knives, snake boots, camo, rifle, extra mag, hand gun,... Anthony had blue jean overalls, hiking boots, and a Ka-bar.

My ex-gf's cousin would go out in frickin' board shorts and a tanktop with one buddy, 3-4 pitbulls and a big ass knife. Crazy dude. He was also incredible at skindive spearfishing... He'd be under the damn water for so long you'd invariably think "Ok, he has to have drowned by now," and then he'd pop up with his latest prize. When people spend basically their whole lives outdoors, they get very good at some weird stuff.

I like taking it out of the woods amazon style, pinin it up with just enough room and it corn feed it for a week or so and worm it out. shoot it when its calm and eatin some supper. then pit bbq it.

good dogs are badass and just makes me look at what dogs were created for and how little we actually use them for.

Back
Top Bottom