• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 magnum 6" barrel VS 45 ACP/AARP in a 1911 full size.

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
In this game of destruction which caliber wins?

Leaning towards the 357 but the 45 carries a lot of slow moving mass.

What say you?

.357 if you're talking sheer power especially at longer ranges would be the winner. It has way less ballistic drop. Also if your talking about getting those giant bull moose or bears with strong body tissues (people body tissues are like paper mache in comparison), long thinner slugs penetrate better (BC or ballistic coefficient). 158 grain and 180 grain .357 shines really well. Out of a wheel gun, you have that luxury of a fixed barrel and rigid sights for better accuracy. .45 acp still is great as a good short range fighting round and CQB applications, but
.357 Magnum is hard to beat.

Good question… I guess my answer would be that I doubt I’d breathe a sigh of relief if i was hiding and you rounded the corner with either one.
That said, there’s only 3 guns that I own that ever get carried… A 9mm, a snub .38 or a .357. The python is the biggest pia to carry but it provides the most warm and fuzzies.

Either will do their job with proper bullet selection and bullet placement. I thankfully have never used either in conflict so anything I say is theory, conjecture and gleaned from reading the experience of others and statistics. I own and have carried both but have switched to a Glock 17 or 19x for several reasons. When I started carrying at church several years back, I became concerned about overpenetration. I feel the 9mm loaded with a fairly frangible fast moving , light bullet best addresses this. At home we only have Glock 9mm handguns in the house so we don’t have to consider how to operate the weapon or which mag to grab in case a reload is necessary. When out and about the farm I usually have either a 10mm or a .357 magnum on the hip.
If the day ever comes, my performance will be of much more concern to me than what caliber I’m shooting.

Either will do their job with proper bullet selection and bullet placement. I thankfully have never used either in conflict so anything I say is theory, conjecture and gleaned from reading the experience of others and statistics. I own and have carried both but have switched to a Glock 17 or 19x for several reasons. When I started carrying at church several years back, I became concerned about overpenetration. I feel the 9mm loaded with a fairly frangible fast moving , light bullet best addresses this. At home we only have Glock 9mm handguns in the house so we don’t have to consider how to operate the weapon or which mag to grab in case a reload is necessary. When out and about the farm I usually have either a 10mm or a .357 magnum on the hip.
If the day ever comes, my performance will be of much more concern to me than what caliber I’m shooting.
I was Air Force… when you say it like you just did, it makes me rethink my answer.

I guess I’d pick whatever gun hurts the most when I throw it at you.

Never thought of the “personal performance” angle…

Back
Top Bottom