• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 magnum 6" barrel VS 45 ACP/AARP in a 1911 full size.

Back in the late 60’s, I was shooting an informal bullseye match with a borrowed Python. Decent scores for a newbie.
Guy came up with a brand new in the box Gov’t model, wasn’t doing well, asked me to give it a try. First time I’d shot one, picked up 10 points on my score. Bought a beater WW2 survivor shortly after that, been shooting and carrying it ever since. 55 years together. Usually sleeps on the nightstand next to me.
I just naturally shoot autos better with my little girlie hands, and that 1911 grip is just perfect for me.

Looks like everyone is leaning 1911 for the most part with a few hold outs. Well I reckon I may just have to carry em both. ;)

thumb-1920-336874.jpg

Looks like everyone is leaning 1911 for the most part with a few hold outs. Well I reckon I may just have to carry em both. ;)

thumb-1920-336874.jpg
Well, I’m not throwing out my Smith .38 spl snubbies. A backup J frame in the jacket pocket is like a 3 yr old’s security blanket.

I've owned both and occasionally carried both, but I spent a lot more time carrying the full size M1911 than I did the Smith & Wesson model 66 with a 6 inch barrel.

I think the .357 wheelgun with a 6 inch barrel offers more kinetic energy on target and deeper penetration into the vitals of an attacking wolf for bear.

The .357 is probably also better for deer hunting, but I think the speed of shooting a 1911 with a single action only trigger system is going to put more hits in the vital zone, faster, than a revolver where you'll be shooting in DA mode (if the scenario is self-defense rather than hunting.)

Y'all forget about this caliber?
The . 44 Rem. Mag., on the other hand, “is one of the few commercial handgun cartridges that can be considered fully adequate for big game hunting.” He christens the “big . 44” as capable of bringing down deer, black bear, elk, moose, and even big Alaskan brown bears.Mar 30, 2023
8C171C15-1EEB-410C-8327-A57D88DD4A27.jpeg
F0CFBDC4-9284-45E5-BAED-0CC88593FA57.jpeg

Only way I'm going to shoot a brown bear with a 44mag is if I don't have any other choice. And I won't stop at one round either. Down or not. That said, I have decided the 44mag is the most powerful handgun I'm going to own. I can hit what I'm aiming at. I figure if I need to send extra rounds to get the job done, so be it. Cheaper than buying another gun

Back
Top Bottom