• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

380 vs 9mm meat an rib test :)

I have a crisp $100.00 bill for any one that will stand 21 feet away and take 4 rounds from my G42 to the torso.
Hell, you can even choose the ammo!

I hear comments like this all the time, and I think they totally miss the point. No one wants to get shot.

A better way to say it is probably "I'll give a crisp $100 to anyone who will allow me to shoot at them with my caliber of choice. It will begin 21 feet away and they're allowed to run at me, dodge, take cover, shoot back with the weapon of their choice, or close in and stab me or beat me as much as they'd like."

Because that's really what we're talking about. If you have to use a weapon at all you're not betting $100, you're betting your life.

The bad guy gets a vote, too. And the bad guy isn't necessarily driven by instinct like a bear; he has the benefit of knowing about and possibly owning a firearm, too. As stated earlier, killing the bad guy does no good if he lives long enough to return the favor.

I hear comments like this all the time, and I think they totally miss the point. No one wants to get shot.

A better way to say it is probably "I'll give a crisp $100 to anyone who will allow me to shoot at them with my caliber of choice. It will begin 21 feet away and they're allowed to run at me, dodge, take cover, shoot back with the weapon of their choice, or close in and stab me or beat me as much as they'd like."

Because that's really what we're talking about. If you have to use a weapon at all you're not betting $100, you're betting your life.

The bad guy gets a vote, too. And the bad guy isn't necessarily driven by instinct like a bear; he has the benefit of knowing about and possibly owning a firearm, too. As stated earlier, killing the bad guy does no good if he lives long enough to return the favor.

No. My point was simply for the peanut gallery (and was meant as a joke). I wasn't looking for a gladiator type event, just pointing out that a .380 is nothing to sneeze at and no one in their right mind would willingly stare down the barrel of one in contempt and say "pull the trigger".

THE most important need in any shooting situation is bullet placement, end of sentence.

Did you miss the article about the Inuit woman that killed a world record Grizzly with a single shot 22lr bolt gun? She dropped it with 1 shot, because she knew where to place that one bullet.

She did, however, put 7 "insurance" shots on the animal as it lay on the ground (nice grouping ). She was carrying the 22 ammo loose in her pocket.

I would say that this is definitely not the "norm"
I could probably link several articles showing multiple shots in criminals before being incapacitated. Someone as large as Hulk Hogan on PCP decides to take a butcher knife to the mall. If you want a .22 or 380 its your call. Id want a 308. Since i cant carry rifles easily, I pick a 9mm or better. With all the nuts doing mass shootings now, Id rather have a mag of fifteen+ 9mms. Only good thing about 380 is at least you carry and at least you have something. If you apply the saying, let me shoot you with it. I wouldn't want to be shot by a quality sling shot. a steel bearing in the temple could probably kill you. How about, if you had to pick a caliber to be shot with from .380, 40sw,.357 mag, which would you perfer? I think that puts things into perspective.

Would you guys talking about shot placement being everything just stop! It's not everything. It's just one part of what makes a self defense round effective and is no substitute for proper terminal ballistics. I also don't understand why people think that a more powerful round is less accurate.

With that said, I have recently changed my mind about the 380 being sufficient for self defense. The reason for that is the load used in this video. As far as I know, the Hornady 90 grain XTP is the only 380 round that passes the FBI standard for SD. It consistently penetrates 18 to 24 inches and fully expands while doing it. No other 380 round should be used for SD, because they don't get the job reliably done.

As for being willing to stand and let someone shoot at me with a different 380 round... be happy to, right after you let me shoot six 3/4 inch steel ball bearings at you with a Wrist Rocket sling shot at ten feet. If you're not willing to do that, does that mean a sling shot is a good idea for self defense?

Back
Top Bottom