• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 LC vs .44 mag. Never shot a .45lc, how do they compare???

I think that the principal reason for anemic factory loadings in .45LC is due largely to its popularity in cowboy action shooting. Lead SWC's @ around 1050fps is very common...and very weak. Loads of fun to plink and fan the hammer, bit not a whole lot of punch. As has been said, if you've got a Ruger GP or a Super redhawk or Blackhawk in .45LC, you can really load up a load that will smoke a .44 Magnum. I love the traditional nature of .45LC, but .44 Mag wins out for me because Elmer Keith was the man.

I have and shot both for years. There is a reason the 45Colt has been around so long and is still popular. The Colt is a very efficient and accurate round. I shot a deer in the back of the head at 100yds with a 44mag, the deer did a complete flip and landed on the ground. I still had to finish the deer off. I shot a deer at 130yds with a 45Colt Winchester Silver tip. You heard the report of the rifle, then the bullet impact the deer, the deer fell to the ground and never took another step. Complete pass through, the deer was dead. In both cases it was a lever action rifle. I carry a 44mag as a sidearm back up. I've shot deer and blown the heart out at 35yds with one shot. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing with a 45Colt.
If you hand load you can get quite a bit out of the Colt cartridge. I don't know about the Vaquero, but the Blackhawk, Redhawk and probably the S&W "N" frame would be good candidates for a hot Colt load. The Colt has diameter and mass on it's side with less recoil. The 44 has more velocity, good for hydrostatic shock. You do have a larger arc in bullet trajectory with the Colt cartridge.

I've borrowed and test fired both 44 magnum revolvers and 45 Long Colt revolvers. I owned a T/C Contender single shot hunting pistol that had a 44 magnum barrel. I've mostly used all of these with factory ammo, although I did shoot some very hot maximum pressure 44 magnums both in a revolver and my Contender

The 45 Colt is pretty mild, with factory loads from a Full sized all-steel hand gun. I wouldn't want to shoot it from a derringer with a grip no bigger than a poker chip.

I'd say that if you're hunting big game and you want to use factory ammo only, then go with the 44 mag. If you want a milder shooting round to have fun with at the range and you'll be using it no more than 50 yards of distance to the target, go with that 45 Colt.

But, keep in mind that you can always shoot 44 special loads in your 44 magnum if you want or less noise and less recoil from a factory loading.

But, keep in mind that you can always shoot 44 special loads in your 44 magnum if you want or less noise and less recoil from a factory loading.
along that line of thinking, why not buy a 454 Casull, and shoot .45 Cowboy loads for plinking. 44 mag is no where close to 454 Casull in lbft of energy

If you reload you can get great power for 45colt in the blackhawk.

I used a Win 94 Trapper in 45colt to take a nice buck years ago. Silvertip hp in the neck blowed a huge exit hole and he was doa !

Missing my saa 3 screw ruger sold to fix my truck. I kept the sweeet cowboy holster made in Oregon and found a vaquero .45lc on here that may fit the bill as a replacement but never fired a .45 lc so how do they compare in recoil, accuracy and anything else I can think of?
Ruger 45 LC Blackhawk for the win. Buy ammo that says ruger only in 45 LC.

Back
Top Bottom