• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm revolver

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
9mm revolvers have been tried before, and they were not commercially successful.

Why not? Why is .38 special the only centerfire caliber people like for small frame defensive-carry revolvers?

Shot per shot, the 9mm is more powerful.

Today, most people who carry .38 specials use 125-135 grain bullets. It's not like the old days where .38 loads were standard at 158 grain, and you could find 200 or even 220 grain bullets if you really liked to throw heavy slugs.

Why would you prefer shooting the .38 when the 9mm can gain you 100 or even 200 fps with the same bullet weight, and nearly the same caliber (.355" vs. .357")?

ALSO, a 9mm revolver could have a significantly shorter cylinder. That makes for a shorter gun, and a lighter gun.

The gun could be made to use spring-steel full moon clips, and manufacturers could make these clips in bulk for 20 cents each. Any 9mm revolver you buy could come with a bag of a DOZEN clips, free, included with the gun. Every dealership could have a pickle jar full of extra clips in case you lose or misplace yours. $1 each, or $8 per dozen. Every sporting goods store could stock little baggies of these clips, to hang on a pegboard display wall.

COST: 9mm ammo is way cheaper than .38 special! I paid $25 for 50 rounds the last time I wanted some cheap "range ammo" to shoot at the indoor range near me. In contrast, I could have gotten 9mm for $17. If you shop online in bulk, .38 special (brass case, remanufactured) costs $300 per 1000.
Compare that to $220 per 1000 for the 9mm.
That makes the 9mm 30% cheaper.

MY IDEAL DAILY CONCEALED CARRY REVOLVER:

J-frame, round butt.
New internals and lockwork for shorter frame and shorter cylinder.
5-shot, 9mm, full moon clips required.
Handles +P ammo.
Rear sight is huge, not just a tiny slot milled into the top of the frame, and has white dots.
Front sight has orange ramp insert or orange dot.
Barrel is 2.25 inches, rather than 1.8"
Barrel is factory ported to minimize muzzle flip.
DA trigger not to exceed 12 lbs, and must be smooth.

shoot cost wise 9mm is even cheaper than that! if you don't mind steel or reloads then you can pick up 1000 for less than 175, stuff is stupid cheap right now. as far as why more folks don't use them, that's a good question. my main thought would be there are just so many more .38's out there that you can generally get them for much less than a 9mm revolver. also may have to do with in a revolver 9mm becomes a little snappy, nothing bad but can catch you off guard I suppose if your used to .38 revolvers or 9mm autos.

Preachin to the choir bro. ! :becky:
I sent an airweight 442 out to have a little trigger work done & it bored to a 9mm.
See sig line :becky:.& close thread...:doh:
Airweight9mm.jpg

There was a reason why I did this, as OP said because Manufacturers seem to go through spells producing these...

"J-frame, round butt.
New internals and lockwork for shorter frame and shorter cylinder.
5-shot, .357 Magnum, NO full moon clips required.
Doesn't need +P ammo.
Rear sight is huge, not just a tiny slot milled into the top of the frame, and has white dots.
Front sight has orange ramp insert or orange dot.
Barrel is 2.25 inches, rather than 1.8"
Barrel is factory ported to minimize muzzle flip.
DA trigger not to exceed 12 lbs, and must be smooth."

FIFY

Congratulations,

You just invented the S&W Model 60

Or Ruger SP101

Maybe the Charter Bulldog in .44 Spec.

I have never seen a ballistics chart for 9mm shot from a revolver. If you compare 38sp to 9mm the chart already takes into account the energy lost from the 38sp coming out the side of the cylinder before going through the forcing cone. 9mm that i have seen charts for uses a semi auto where little to no energy is lost inside the chamber. Figure out that loss before comparing the energy.
Just a thought, and S&W makes them in 9mm

I looked at the 9mm revolvers and liked what I saw. I like the idea of the flexibility it offers, not having to stock ANOTHER type of ammo. Most of the negatives I read for them centered around the moon clips. If the clips are cheap enough, their failure rate can be mitigated through low replacement cost. I have to wonder if their low popularity is due to manufacturer's success with the known quantity of sales for already established product lines. WIth small autos being popular, with slightly greater capacity, is a 9mm revolver really popular enough for manufacturers to take the chance? I'd like to hear from anyone who has that information.

I have never seen a ballistics chart for 9mm shot from a revolver. If you compare 38sp to 9mm the chart already takes into account the energy lost from the 38sp coming out the side of the cylinder before going through the forcing cone. 9mm that i have seen charts for uses a semi auto where little to no energy is lost inside the chamber. Figure out that loss before comparing the energy.
Just a thought, and S&W makes them in 9mm

additionally one should be sure and look at ballistics from a 2- 2 1/2 inch barrel to compare apples to apples.
comparing a 4=6 inch revolver to a 4-5 inch semi auto doesn't give the same ballistics as a 2 -2 1/2 inch revolver.
IF you want a little Barn Burner get a 327 federal magnum!
plus it can handle what 4 different ammoes for power selection?
AND no moon clips!

Back
Top Bottom